New HL2 companion board

Simon G4ELI

Re: New HL2 companion board

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

So I can use the RX input for a separate receive-only antenna. I'll buy a new HL2 for QRP and portable.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

wa4six

Unread post by wa4six »

I am thinking that the receive inputs may be usable as to seperate receive antennas, as PS is not used in Console. At least they are broken out the back panel, instead of soldering in a ufl socket.

Ed

Max

Unread post by Max »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:24 am So I can use the RX input for a separate receive-only antenna. I'll buy a new HL2 for QRP and portable.
The RX input is already there without need for the new board. Just needs addition of an SMA socket via mini coax soldered onto the existing header. Easy 10 minute job. The latest end panels already come with the hole for the SMA socket pre-punched as far as I can see. The new PCB requires some soldering anyway, so it's 50/50 in terms of effort to install. If all you want is separate RX in then no need for the new board IMO.

I personally use it (RX input) for split feed to transverters along with the low level TX RF @ 50mW. That way, no danger of blowing the RX of the transverter by accidentally transmitting into it at 5W. Yes, I guess you could also use it for separate receive antenna also. You don't need the new interface board to do any of that.

The interface board is more to make it easier to optionally utilise the RX input for PureSignal (AFAIK it breaks the RX only input out into two switchable SMA sockets) and also send a variety of band change data to linear amps, although again, this can also be done without the new PCB but would need the addition of a band decoder, whereas the new board does it all (I think).

However, there are no pre-built boards available just yet. I think there might be some made from the level of interest shown, or maybe just the bare PCBs in which case it will be a "build it yourself" option

Max

wa4six

Unread post by wa4six »

In a week or so, Jim will be back from vacation. I will then collaborate with him about a backplate a couple other things. Then off to Makerfabs for a 10 board test run. They will be fully populated.

Ed

wa4six

Unread post by wa4six »

Jim is back from vacation. This project will move forward soon. 129 are interested, so fully populated boards will be built by Makerfabs. 10 Beta boards, just for QC & testing first.

Ed

wa4six

Unread post by wa4six »

As an update, there is a part that is NLA. Jim is trying to substitute, or redesign the board layout.
Simon, would you like to test a one of the 10 Beta boards?

Ed