HL2 - No audio drive - Weird!

Max

HL2 - No audio drive - Weird!

Unread post by Max »

Hi Simon

In chasing Roger's meters issue and also the VAC stuttering thing, I must have inadvertently messed something up but for the life of me I cannot see what.

Now I cannot get any audio to modulate the HL2 to transmit in any mode, Tune, Tone or Mic. What seems to be the issue is, via any method, there is no audio present at the input of the TX DSP.

So for example, in the screenshot attached, you will see I am in "Tune" mode, and where I would normally expect the "tune" tone should be present in the audio spectrum box, bottom right of frame of TX DSP panel, there is no audio present at all, hence no TX output. It's the same for Tone input and it's the same if sending audio via VAC or sound card mic input. Absolutely zero.

Is it something I've done to Windows Audio that could cause there to be no audio, not even internal tone generation from SDRC? I've tried several stop-starts of Windows Audio Services, and I've also done full reboots of the PC at least three times. It's very curious. Any ideas appreciated. Screenshot and log file (putting SDRC into Tune mode) attached.

Max
Attachments
Screenshot-2021-08-19-131434.jpeg
SDR Console tmp.txt
(35.25 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Max

Re: HL2 - No audio drive - Weird!

Unread post by Max »

By the way, it was exactly the same before the latest test update. I've had TX on that version fine before, so 99% sure nothing to do with latest test version.

Max

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Microphone permission?

You must have the selected input device working as Tune takes this stream and replaces the samples.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Max

Unread post by Max »

OK Simon, I tried changing input (VAC and then Behringer soundcard output). Thought I might have screwed something up in the VAC settings. No joy on any setting or input.

So then I plugged analogue mic into PC onboard soundcard mic jack. Restarted SDRC. Select the mic. as input to SDRC. Hurray. All works again.

So here's the mystery. Unplugged mic from PC, TX power fine on any input, VAC or otherwise.

It's like something got "stuck" in SDRC that was unstuck by this cycle.

There was quite a long thread in HL2 Group a few months back (sorry, no time to look just now) of someone who could not get power out on SDRC despite any setting (it might even have been Roger, but think it was someone in USA). I have a recollection they never got it going so abandoned SDRC? (Not Roger!). I wonder if there's an issue that needs trapping here because without your help I would never have found that one. Would never for one moment have assumed the input source had anything to do with generating internal tone and hence also no power from "Tune" function!

Anyway, problem solved. Many thanks.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

By the way, it was not Mic Permissions. It was already enabled and also for SDRC in "Desktop Apps". It was not set to off/private for any program or app or generally.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Aw shucks. Spoke too soon. Restarted SDRC (with onboard mic unplugged) and it's off again. Has to be some setting in VAC I would wager. Although not sure why that would also affect the Behringer output though? So may be a Windows issue. Whatever, it's frustrating.

Will try to investigate it again later now I've got at least something to go on.

Don't suppose anyone sees anything in my VAC settings (attached)? I have no idea what half of them do! I'm using Cable 1 to output audio from SDRC and Cable 2 back in to TX audio input.

Max
VAC.JPG

Simon G4ELI

Max,

The logfile will help I think. Plug the microphone in, restart SRC Console, select the microphone, attach the logfile.
www.sdr-radio.com

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

Seems to me it is the way on-board sound works nowadays. If there is nothing plugged into the Mic socket then Windows is told there is no mic socket. I keep an extension plugged in then it thinks there is a mic even if there is not.
Alan

Simon G4ELI

G4ZFQ wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:17 pm Seems to me it is the way on-board sound works nowadays. If there is nothing plugged into the Mic socket then Windows is told there is no mic socket. I keep an extension plugged in then it thinks there is a mic even if there is not.
Alan
That's what I see with some of my sound devices. It'll be the device driver rather than Windows.
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:33 pm Max,

The logfile will help I think. Plug the microphone in, restart SRC Console, select the microphone, attach the logfile.
OK Simon I can do that, but just before I do please see the following because I discovered more information. Also just to say SDRC has never had this issue before and I have never needed to plug mic into the onboard sound. If you see what I report below I think it's confused the issue.

As previously mentioned I have Behringer outboard sound card for my microphone. What I discovered after you mentioning reboot to try the mic trick is that if I stop then restart HL2 in SDRC with the Behringer soundcard already selected to TX DSP input, it's fine and I get Tune and TX function. If I then select VAC, all goes dead. But the weird thing is if I then re-select Behringer output, the TX output is still dead. The only thing that gets it back is to stop then restart the HL2 (with Behringer selected) and away we go again, but selecting VAC screws it again as before. It's a totally reproduceable sequence.

So log file attached, following sequence.

1: Start SDRC
2: Start HL2 with Behringer already selected to TX DSP (prior to previous Stop)
3: Enter Tune mode. Drive set full. Power output confirmed
4: select VAC to TX DSP input
5: Enter Tune mode. Drive set to full. Zero power out observed
6: Exit Tune mode. Select Behringer to TX DSP
7: Enter Tune mode. Drive set full. Zero power out observed
8: Log file.

Thanks for looking.

Max
Attachments
SDR Console Log 2.txt
(37.37 KiB) Downloaded 46 times