HL2 - No audio drive - Weird!

Simon G4ELI

Re: HL2 - No audio drive - Weird!

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Max,

This has to be a Windows thing. I have seen the situation where audio devices aren't enabled unless a microphone is connected.

Step 4/5 shows me that the VAC isn't streaming, I replace the stream samples.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Simon G4ELI

Max,

I must have screenshots for step 4 - you have many VACs, I don't know which one you selected. If it works with a microphone then there's no difference with a VAC.

Why not remove all VAC definitions except for the one you want to use, this way there's no confusion.

So, with only one VAC do this again, show me screenshots and the logfile.

BTW, the Spectrum window in the Transmit panel shows the audio from the selected input device. This will help you with diagnostics.
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

OK Simon thanks for reply but I've now sorted it by a clean uninstall and reinstall of VAC (and up date to latest version in the process).

Sorry for the hassle but it was certainly worthwhile from my end because I had not realised that the failure of the selected input source would also inhibit the Tune TX function.

So here is one last question. Surely at least the Tune function should act as a good tester of SDRC regardless of any other audio input set, so if someone has an issue with getting any power out, the first thing I would say to them is "do you get power out in Tune", but now that has to be qualified with "having first made sure you have functional audio input to TX DSP".

Would it not be much better if at least "Tune" always operated regardless of any audio input source issues, i.e. it becomes an internal test function, which I had mistakenly thought it was anyway? I have no idea how this would be done, but I think it would serve as a much better diagnosis/test tool if it could be done?

Max

Simon G4ELI

Max,

As I stated before, the selected input source provides input at the correct rate, I then replace these samples with the Tune / Tone values. If the selected input source is defective then the design fails.

I rely on the input source to provide data at 48kHz, it's a simple option for me. If in doubt use the microphone on the motherboard, I'll think about displaying an error if the selected input source doesn't supply data.

Please, Please, Please - I need logfiles when this doesn't work along with screenshots.

I'm seeing this same error with other SDR software and also audio processing software.
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Simon

OK thanks. I do think an error indication of invalid audio input source would be extremely beneficial. To be fair it's probably a rare condition but confusing when it does occur.

Re: screenshot and log file, screenshot and logfile were both provided when error first showed, then a further logfile only, as you requested, and by the time you asked for the third logfile the I'd sorted it and there was no error left to report.

Anyway, all good now so thanks for the guidance. This will also help me to assist any others with what appears to be the same same issue now I understand it more.

All the best

Max

Simon G4ELI

Hi,

The source appears to be 100% OK, it's just not sending any data, total PITA. I have a high quality ASUS soundcard which does exactly the same when I use my Sennheiser 835 as this is so quiet the soundcard doesn't detect it :( . I don't get errors when there's no data, I just don't get data so a sanity check is needed. You can always use the spectrum window for now, I think that's the place to indicate any issues.
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

OK NP Simon. At least now aware of the issue and for others similarly affected too.

Max

Simon G4ELI

Max wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:34 pm OK NP Simon. At least now aware of the issue and for others similarly affected too.

Max
Just been out shopping, while shopping was thing, I now have a cunning plan...
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

Ah hah....... a cunning plan.......

Simon G4ELI

Max wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:27 pm Ah hah....... a cunning plan.......
I'll run a one second timer, if no data received every second then I'll display 'Not Responding'.
www.sdr-radio.com