PTT shortcut setting

Pierre

PTT shortcut setting

Unread post by Pierre »

A new user, I'm discovering SDR Console V3.2 with my HL2.
Is there somewhere a setting to allow a shortcut for the PTT command? I have chosen the "space bar" for this command in Quisk and it looks more convenient for me than having to point and click on TX in the DSP Transmit panel in SDR Console.
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Max

Re: PTT shortcut setting

Unread post by Max »

Hi Pierre

Agree it's not well documented, but it's set to keyboard F5. Can't be changed as far as I know. Of course another option is to map it on a standalone MIDI controller. As an HL2 user I find the regular keyboard controls everything just fine.

In Windows, "Spacebar" is not the best choice because it also repeats last key stroke sent to the running program, so it can be in conflict. You can prove this by pressing another button on SDRC screen, then press spacebar. You will see that button pressed again!

You can also use a manual switch (footswitch?) to short ring to earth on the 3.5mm front panel jack on the HL2, although there is currently a small bug in this where RX mute does not unlatch correctly on the first application of the footswitch. Simon is sorting this out on the test team right now!

For CW, keyer output to HL2 front panel 3.5mm jack tip to earth works very well with semi break-in and a nice low latency sidetone built in to SDRC:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/hermes-lite-2

Note in CW mode via HL2 front panel jack, power out is controlled solely by the "OP Power" slider on the HL2 dedicated "Radio" panel in the RX DSP panel. "Drive" on TX DSP panel in this CW mode is inoperative.

SDRC is just great with the HL2. By far my own favourite. If you have any other questions just ask.

Max

Pierre

Unread post by Pierre »

Thanks Max for your answers. The space bar was not a good idea!
About CW, I shall use a cable between my iambic keyer and the HL2 Key PTT jack with the tip and ground connected, leaving the short ring free and using F5 to put the HL2 in TX. I noted that I have to use the OP Power slider of RX DSP panel, quite amazing!
I shall come back if I have other questions after testing my station as portable (HL2+Alexloop+Windows11 laptop).
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Max

Unread post by Max »

Pierre wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:19 am Thanks Max for your answers. The space bar was not a good idea!
About CW, I shall use a cable between my iambic keyer and the HL2 Key PTT jack with the tip and ground connected, leaving the short ring free and using F5 to put the HL2 in TX. I noted that I have to use the OP Power slider of RX DSP panel, quite amazing!
I shall come back if I have other questions after testing my station as portable (HL2+Alexloop+Windows11 laptop).
73 - Pierre - FK8IH
Yep, sounds exactly as I have here except I have recently connected footswitch to the PTT jack ring. Easily done with a 3.5mm to split phono/RCA patch cable. It works well. Just waiting for Simon to iron out the issue with the PTT.

Yes, because you are keying the TX direct, the Power Out slider controls the hardware in the HL2 directly (IQ balance maybe?) whereas the Drive controls levels within the SDRC software. That's how I understand it with my limited knowledge. So for SSB/voice modes you need to remember to reset the PO slider as well, because that will affect output on all modes, not just CW.

The "Radio" panel is not really part of RX DSP but it's just a handy position for Simon to place it for all to fit on a normal screen to keep all the other important controls visible. I find the layout generally excellent and well designed.

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Pierre

An update.

Simon seems to have fixed the footswitch PTT issue on the HL2 in the latest test kit. I expect it will appear in the Beta kit download soon on his main website. So now, using a 3.5mm headphone splitter cable, I can plug in CW keyer and also PTT footswitch at the same time. Means then that footswitch PTT not only works on voice modes, it can also be used instead of CW semi break-in on CW. Just needs "Hang" time slider pulling back to zero for full manual operation on CW. Gets better all the time!

Max