Missing 'Dither' setting

G1LRO

Missing 'Dither' setting

Unread post by G1LRO »

Hi

I am using the HL2 with the band-volt modification to automatically change the band on my linear amplifier (it sends a specific voltage per-band to the amp).

It's explained here: https://github-wiki-see.page/m/softerha ... Band-Volts

This mod implements the PWM required with a code element in the later versions of gateware on the HL2. To enable the PWM signal. the software uses the 'Dither' setting of the Hermes protocol since this is not otherwise used on the HL2

I'm keen to switch from Thetis to SDR console, but I can't seem to find the checkbox to enable 'Dither'. for example on Thetis, it's in the Hermes settings area under U/W Select.

Can anyone tell me that I'm being dumb and it can be set in the SDR Console, or if not, is there a way this setting could be added to the GUI?

Many thanks
Mark

Max

Re: Missing 'Dither' setting

Unread post by Max »

G1LRO wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:53 am
I'm keen to switch from Thetis to SDR console, but I can't seem to find the checkbox to enable 'Dither'. for example on Thetis, it's in the Hermes settings area under U/W Select.

Can anyone tell me that I'm being dumb and it can be set in the SDR Console, or if not, is there a way this setting could be added to the GUI?

Many thanks
Mark
I use HL2 and not aware of having ever seen this setting in SDRC. I thought (most likely in my ignorance) that the band volts data was sent direct from HL2 and was nothing to do with the software at all? I've purchased an external band decoder exactly for this reason but not used it yet. I'm still on manual switching for my linear.

No doubt Simon will be along to comment on the PWM?

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Ah yes, I've read the Wiki and I see what you mean. Need to turn on the band-volts feature in software:

"Software Prerequisites
You need an up to date Gateware on your HL2 (Band Volt Feature where added at Gateware 72p5)
SDR Software should have enabled the "Dither" Feature to activate the Band Voltage output in the gateware. (in piHPSDR you will find the setting at "Menu - RX")"

Simon...... any chance?

https://github.com/softerhardware/Herme ... Band-Volts

Max

G1LRO

Unread post by G1LRO »

Thanks for your comments Max, I've attached a screenshot from the Thetis menu for reference here:
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-17 103924.png

sdr_fan_h

Unread post by sdr_fan_h »

Dithering is an ADC capability and no programm function! Hermes LTC2208 provides a physical control pin for dithering.
DC6NY

Max

Unread post by Max »

sdr_fan_h wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:29 pm Dithering is an ADC capability and no programm function! Hermes LTC2208 provides a physical control pin for dithering.
DC6NY
Helmut, just to confirm, I can see now that Mark explained this in his first post on this thread:

"This mod implements the PWM required with a code element in the later versions of gateware on the HL2.

To enable the PWM signal the software uses the 'Dither' setting of the Hermes protocol since this is not otherwise used on the HL2"

Max