HL2 tx issues

G8VLR

HL2 tx issues

Unread post by G8VLR »

Hi all,
I have connected my HL2 using the "quick install" method, using a cat7 cable and it works well on receive but on transmit all the meters (power, swr etc.) except alc, are either all at zero or all hard over even when not transmitting. When I transmit only the alc meter moves and an external swr bridge shows that power is generated. I'm using version 3.0.25 and it works well with SDR play RSP1a but I need some help with the HL2 issue.

Thanks in anticipation,

Roger.

Simon G4ELI

Re: HL2 tx issues

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Roger,

Please add a screenshot or two. last time I fired up the HL2 it was OK but as always things can go wrong.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

Thanks for the quick reply, Simon. I'll try to post a couple of screenshots. One is on receive the other is in tx mode.

Attachments
Screenshot-2020-11-01-134133.png

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Which firmware do you have? Looks like I must dig out my HL2, use the same firmware as check this problem.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

I've not updated the firmware, as my HL2 is from the July 2020 batch but maybe that's the issue. I'll have to read up on updating because I know it can result in tears if it goes wrong.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Roger

Firmware: I can see I have been through 70.0 at some stage (what you are running) and no issues noted. I would warn that I am currently stuck on 71.3 as that is the last one I don't have issues with. I had an issue with some later versions of the HL2 Gateware with SDRC seeming to have started the radio but blank screen. Not had further time to investigate as 71.3p is working fine for me and no burning need to upgrade yet.

Regarding updating the firmware (strictly speaking "Gateware"). Don't worry about updating. It's a breeze and due to inbuilt protections it's really almost impossible to have any sort of unrecoverable accident with it. Just download SparkSDR (even if you don't use it as the radio software). It's got a dead easy Gateware update feature on there. The update takes about 5 seconds.

http://www.ihopper.org/radio/sparksdr2.htm

Download Win 10 version and install. Run it and press "reload" button top left (to sense IP address of HL2) but do not run the radio. Then right click top left where it shows the IP address (hopefully) of the HL2. Simply "Update Gateware", navigate to the RBF file you have saved locally and off you go. I've put 71.3p gateware download here:

https://github.com/softerhardware/Herme ... p_main.rbf

Only thing I notice on your screenshot is you have the external radio panel there. I wonder if that is something to do with it? I would not expect that there if you are running HL2 "clean"? The very first thing I would do is disable "External Radio" option on the ribbon bar then try again.

Max

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

Max, thanks for the suggestion to turn off the external radio...it worked! Also thanks for the link to the .rbf file: I shall upload it shortly.

Many thanks,

Roger. (still very much an HL2 newbie, lol!)

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

Hi Max,
Just attempted a gateware update as per instructions but Spark and SDRc both report the version as 70.0. Can you suggest any pitfalls?
SDRc was off, as was Spark and I refreshed Spark to show the ip address. I moved the rbf file to a folder in documents and accessed it. Then I clicked program and it appeared to run. That's when I restarted HL2 and found the rev number was still the same. I connect HL2 via a cat 7 cable directly to my win10 ethernet socket.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Sometimes needs you to cycle power of the HL2 off-on after flash to see the new version (not just stop-start in whichever software). Try that. If it's not that I have some other ideas but pretty sure will be simple.

Best

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi again Roger

Also please read this (whatever the outcome - useful info):

https://github.com/softerhardware/Herme ... ion-images

Explains the whole issue of Factory Image (Slot 1) and Application Image (Slot 2). Principally, don't try a downgrade to application image lower than 70p0 (he says 7.0 but he means 70). Also says may need power cycle (as above) and then try again, but other stuff here also about potential issues. I'm fairly confident that either just a power cycle on it's own, or immediately prior to and after another attempt at flashing will clear the issue.

Basically you are (were) still seeing the Slot 1 Gateware. It's all in the link above.

Good luck.

Max