HL2 tx issues

G8VLR

Re: HL2 tx issues

Unread post by G8VLR »

Thanks again Max. However the tx meters when on receive are back (with external radio off) and the issue with updates makes me think I may have a duff board.

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

Hi Max, a power cycle worked to update to 71.3 good news! Now I just have to work out why all the tx meters (except alc) are over to the right when on rx.

Thanks for your help.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Regarding the power cycle to update, not a sign of duff board. Seen it lots (and experienced it too). Actually worth bearing in mind power cycle of the HL2 often clears weird issues. Maybe try another one! Must admit the HL2 has been pretty rock solid generally this end.

That's odd about the meters. Think I have seen something like this mentioned before some time ago, although I think maybe it was with the Pluto and not HL2. Still looking in the old forums but no luck yet. I don't think it's your hardware. Which version of SDRC are you running? Should be 3.0.25. Cannot see in your last screenshot due to black Windows title bar. Best to use the SDRC built in screenshot tool (although I think you did?).

Can you now please do another full screenshot without the external radio selected that shows the meters? Simon is probably better placed to offer some tips on the meters issue from his comprehensive memory banks! I will keep looking back though.

Best

Max

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

Well it's decided not to do it this morning. If and when it returns I'll take a screenshot. Thanks for all your help so far.

Regards,

Roger.

Max

Unread post by Max »

NP Roger. Fingers crossed the power cycling has cleared the issues. I am quietly confident that it should have done. I can only say that HL2 has been very stable for me and partners extremely well with SDRC. I know a lot of others in the HL2 Google Group are big Linux fans and so they tend to go for Quisk (and Linux version of Spark). I think Quisk seems to have some useful functions as a toolkit but as a usable radio personally I think that SDRC beats it hands down in terms of the GUI and overall experience. SDRC feels like a "proper" radio, and IMHO the waterfall is a far far nicer affair than the crude waterfalls on both Quisk and SparkSDR. I guess at the end of the day as usual it is "horse for courses".

I guess you are already aware of the HL2 Google Group/Forum?
https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite

Another thing to be aware of. Maybe you already know? The Gateware is often released in several versions simultaneously, some of which effectively sacrifice the TX function to provide an SDR with multiple receiver "slices" (I think it's now up to about either 9 or 11 receivers) anywhere within the 32 MHz bandwidth. But obviously these Gatewares are not what you need if you require the TX functionality, which is always the "Main" RBF Gateware file. I think SparkSDR offers the ability to use these large numbers of multiple receiver slices. I have not tried it.

In Main version of the Gateware it actually does offer four "slice" receivers as standard, but sadly not implemented in SDRC just yet. Simon has said he will take a look at it at some point. I believe both SparkSDR and Quisk do offer this already, but not something that bothers me that much so I prefer to stick with the far nicer operational interface of SDRC and my operation is pretty much standard HF transceive.

Hope it stays behaving itself now. Have fun.

Max

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

Working well now. :D I'd like to try FT8 and WSPR with WSJTX, do you know if that's possible with SDRc?

Thanks for the help,

Roger.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Yep, FT8 dead easy with WSJT-X. Just done it myself last week. Works well. Not used WSPR on there yet but will do in future. Must admit Alan Hopper made it practically no-brainer operation as he built WSPR functionality into SparkSDR so I defected on that occasion and used that. It's almost point and click in Spark with no need to interface out to WSJT-X. But now I have WSJT-X running on SDRC I will use that for WSPR next time.

You really need a virtual audio cable of some sort to route audio to and from SDRC. Also virtual serial ports to connect via CAT to WSJT-X. For VAC I personally paid for VAC from here:
https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/

But, many on here (most?) use the free VB-Audio. It's just I have some weird issue with my PC that stops SDRC working with VB-Audio for some reason, but others seem to be problem-free so maybe try that first:
https://vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

For serial ports see here. I use VSP Manager from K5FR. You just need to email him with callsign for a link to download. He responds quickly:
http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php? ... SP_Manager

Serial port setup with SDRC (for CAT in WSJT-X or any other prog select Kenwood TS-2000 protocol for the rig) see here:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/SerialPort

Max

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

Hi Max, I'm now transmitting and receiving FT8 but on transmit I only show half a watt. I'll have to check levels.

Cheers,

Roger.

G8VLR

Unread post by G8VLR »

Power meter on wrong scale! Operator error... working fine now.

Max

Unread post by Max »

Good news. Glad you manged to get on with no issues!

Max