HL2 PTT issue

Max

Re: HL2 PTT issue

Unread post by Max »

Hi Simon

Any chance that before you make final release of 3.0.27 you could take a look at this issue for us HL2 users and hopefully correct?

Just to recap, first short of the ring of PTT jack on HL2 front panel (manual PTT) after starting the radio causes audio DSP panel mute to latch on and audio level to go to zero and they both stay there when PTT released. If they are both reset to normal values, any subsequent short of the PTT works as it should (receiver is muted, but not via any action of the Mute button and volume slider on the DSP panel, which visually stay set normal during TX). Behaviour seen in all modes and reproduced reliably by both Roger and myself, so I imagine you will see same on your HL2?

Not a biggie but a mild annoyance and could confuse first time users of SDRC with HL2? Would not want to out them off using SDRC as their preferred software!

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Simon

I just hooked up a footswitch direct to PTT line on the HL2 front panel and I am still seeing exactly this issue raised back in January 2021. It also sometimes happens on a random subsequent press of the footswitch which can be very distracting in fast changeovers (contest etc) so abandoned footswitch for now.

Any thoughts? It's as originally described in the post above this one, but for logs etc, tell me what you need, if anything. If you are able to find time to take a look that would be great.

Max

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Max wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:41 pm Hi Simon

I just hooked up a footswitch direct to PTT line on the HL2 front panel and I am still seeing exactly this issue raised back in January 2021. It also sometimes happens on a random subsequent press of the footswitch which can be very distracting in fast changeovers (contest etc) so abandoned footswitch for now.

Any thoughts? It's as originally described in the post above this one, but for logs etc, tell me what you need, if anything. If you are able to find time to take a look that would be great.

Max
OK,

Exact same issue - please quote the issue text so I know exactly what you're seeing. It's probably me not detecting bounces.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Simon G4ELI

Also,

I'll have to set up some method of remote PTT to test this, shouldn't be too hard.
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:32 pm
Exact same issue - please quote the issue text so I know exactly what you're seeing. It's probably me not detecting bounces.
I won't quote the text exactly because I have something to add, but just to recap as first reported, when shorting of the ring of PTT jack on HL2 front panel with footswitch, for the first activation after starting radio causes the audio DSP panel mute to latch on and audio level to go to zero and they both stay there even when PTT released. If I reset the RX audio level slider to normal, any subsequent short of the PTT works as it should i.e. receiver audio DSP is muted via use of subsequent shorts of the PTT connection on HL2 front panel using footswitch.

HOWEVER, since I tried using it in anger with a footswitch, I find that although it seems to work for maybe a few presses of the footswitch, I get seemingly random mutes where exactly the same thing happens, i.e. footswitch to TX mutes the audio out on RX DSP panel, but it stays muted on footswitch release and I have to reset the audio level manually. I have not yet had time to try and see if there is any fixed set of circumstances, but at moment it appears random.

I am pretty sure you will see it when you try it on your HL2.

Max

Simon G4ELI

OK,

To be honest I don't remember adding this support. Anyway I expect it's me not catching bounces, I do remember seeing bounces on PTT on some SDR or other, so let's take this to the test team, I'll add diagnostics.
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

NP Simon. Will await your further action. Or shall I start a new thread on TT just to mark it?

Max

Simon G4ELI

I'll get a kit published today / tomorrow, hold fire.

Tired - new dog likes walks...
www.sdr-radio.com

Max

Unread post by Max »

Simon G4ELI wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:20 pm I'll get a kit published today / tomorrow, hold fire.

Tired - new dog likes walks...
Yes, I guessed that from your other posts. Congrats on the new little chap!

Max