Karl_W5QJ_66

Re: Transmit, Tune, and Tone functions in TX DSP panel

Unread post by Karl_W5QJ_66 »

SDR Console Tone without Winkeyer plugged in.png
SDR Console - Tune without Winkeyer plugged in.png
SDR Console - Tone with Winkeyer plugged in.png
SDR Console - Tune with Winkeyer plugged in.png
Max and Simon,

After a reboot of the PC, was able to get RF out of the Hermes by using the "Tune" button with the Winkeyer unplugged. Then plugged in Winkeyer and repeated test. Was also able to get RF out of the Hermes.

Did the same for "Tone" with Winkeyer out and in. Tones were generated, but no RF out of the Hermes. Listened on another receiver to verify. I have no microphone plugged in. Audio input is configured as a virtual audio cable.

If I need to buy a microphone to move this along, I will. If needed, please let me know what type of microphone I should purchase.

Thanks,

Karl - W5QJ

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Karl

I cannot see the issue in any of the screenshots:

Screenshots:

1) You have Tone selected, but you are not in TX mode (have not pushed the big TX button), i.e you are still in RX, so no power output as expected.

2) You have "Tune" selected, and there is output power (normal behaviour)

3) As per (1) you have tone selected, tones are present at the audio input (seen on spectrum and can be heard by pressing "RX" audio monitor in the TX DSP panel - monitors audio input, but when in RX mode) but again, large TX button has not been pushed, so you are still in RX.

4) All exactly as per (2). You have Tune selected, and the HL2 is in TX and has power output.

Or are you saying that in the two screenshots where SDRC is showing output power ("Tune" mode), none is measured on output of the HL2 with a power meter?

Max

Karl_W5QJ_66

Max,

Yes, you're interpretation of the previous screen shots was correct. Yes, I can get RF out now when pressing "Tune" both with and without a Winkeyer being plugged into the PTT jack.
There was no RF generated when pressing "Tone" with either the Winkeyer plugged in or out. The SDR Console shows it producing power though. I am listening in another receiver and monitoring the power output on an external watt meter.

I've rebooted again and performed the "Tone" test again. This time without a Winkeyer in the PTT jack. I suspect what I've been seeing is related to having the microphone configured as a Virtual Audio Cable and not having a Winkeyer plugged in to the PTT jack.

1) If I press "TX" and "Tone", I get two peaks, RF output, and a single tone in the external receiver. There is a screen capture of this. [attachment=1]VAC as microphone single tone generated with RF.

2) When I attempt to exit the "Tone" or "TX" mode, the Hermes PTT cycles and transmits two tones. I can press "TX" and "Tone" repeatedly, but it continues to transmit. Also a screen capture of this behavior.

3) Short of turning the power off to the Hermes, the only way I've found to stop the PTT cycling is to mute the microphone configured as VAC or change the selection to "Microphone USB Audio Device" Screen captures attached.

I apologize if the screen caps are in the reverse order to items 1 though 3.

If I repeat the above with the microphone configured as "Microphone (USB Audio Device", there are no issues and everything functions as expected.

Thanks,

Karl - W5QJ
Attachments
4 - USB mic as microphone to get out of TX cycling.png
3 - VAC as microphone two tones generated mute mike to stop xmt.png
2 - VAC as microphone two tones generated cycling PTT.png
1 - VAC as microphone single tone generated with RF.png

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Karl

I'm not sure I fully understand some of your text description, but again, I looked at all the new screenshots and again I see nothing abnormal at all. If you have "Tone" button selected, it's irrelevant what you have selected as mic or plugged in as mic, VAC or otherwise. The tone is injected after this, and you see the tones generated in the TX monitor panel as per your screenshots.

It's also irrelevant (to some degree) as to whether you have the keyer plugged into the PTT jack on the HL2 as well. Basically if you have a jack plugged into PTT jack, if you ground the ring, that acts as regular hardware PTT (pushes the big TX button by remote - can be used with footswitch etc for manual PTT in any mode) and if you ground the tip, you will generate CW carrier and sidetone inside SDRC, regardless of mode set in SDRC.

The only odd behaviour you describe is the cycling of the PTT that you can only interrupt by de-powering the HL2. That sounds very much like you have RF floating around somewhere. Could be getting in through keyer cable, USB cables, ethernet, anywhere. Born out to some degree by your highish SWR shown when in TX. I suspect you will find this behaviour changes for different frequencies. I have a very badly matched antenna at the moment (not managed to out up a decent one yet - pending like everything else!), random wire thrown out of window. HL2 sometimes "sticks" in TX when I use 40m, but on other bands no issue. In my case no doubt whatever that it is RF getting in due to my sloppy set-up. Sounds like you might have same issue?

Other than that I don't see any issues with your setup. Everything in the screenshots seems to be normal and exactly as I would expect. Reason as far as I can see that you originally said WSJT-X and FL Digi were able to TX is simply that they are engaging PTT by remote via the virtual COM port. In the cases where you were trying to get HL2 "standalone" into TX, it appears (sorry if this is not the case and I misunderstood) that you were not operating the PTT, either manually from big TX button in SDRC, or via ring on HL2 PTT jack, or via COM port.

Anyway, hope it helps and good luck. You made a great choice with the HL2. It is a great little rig that performs far above it's size and price and makes a very nice combo indeed with SDRC as the software.

Max

Karl_W5QJ_66

Good morning Max,

Thank you for all your effort in resolving this. I am able to use SDR Console and am happy with it. The intermittent "TX" and "Tone" issues will probably be difficult to fully address without having identical equipment.
SWR on all bands here is 1 or slightly above.

I rebooted this morning, started SDR Console, and before starting WSJT-X, checked "Tune" and "Tone". Both functions worked perfectly. The problems seem to occur after using either WSJT-X or fldigi in conjunction with SDR Console. I did work a portion of yesterday's CW contest using the HL2 along with SDR Console and a Winkeyer, and had no problems.

Karl - W5QJ

Max

Unread post by Max »

Good news Karl. Glad it's mostly sorted. There was a "TX relay chatter" issue early on with HL2. I never had it, but I believe it was sorted by Steve H in the latest Gateware, which I see you are running. Maybe look back in the HL2 Google Group for that one, but I don't feel it is the issue here.

Max