Transmit, Tune, and Tone functions in TX DSP panel

Karl_W5QJ_66

Transmit, Tune, and Tone functions in TX DSP panel

Unread post by Karl_W5QJ_66 »

I have had a Hermes II for a week now and have settled upon SDR Console for it's front-end. I have configured a virtual audio cable, a virtual serial cable, etc. and am able to use SDR Console with fldigi and WSJT-X without issue.

However, when I press either "TX" or "Tune" in the DSP Transmit panel of SDR Console, the PTT actuates, but no there is no RF from the Hermes. I am also unable to generate the two tones when I press "Tone".

If I have fldigi or WSJT-X running, I can press "transmit" or "Tune" in either of those apps and the the Hermes emits RF. I can then adjust the drive, gain, and output settings in SDR Console.

I am sure that I have forgotten to select something needed in the configuration of SDR Console, but after six hours of off and on searching, I need some help. Could someone please let me know how to fix?

Thank you,

Karl - W5QJ

Simon G4ELI

Re: Transmit, Tune, and Tone functions in TX DSP panel

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Karl,

Add a screenshot - maybe it's drive / gain or you haven't selected a microphone.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Karl_W5QJ_66

Hello Simon,

I've attached screen shots of the SDR Console display and one from fldigi with "Tune" actuated.

I have microphone configured as Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable). If I configure microphone as Microphone (USB device), the PTT also actuates when pressing TX or Tune, but no RF from the Hermes.

Thanks,

Karl - W5QJ
Attachments
2021-01-22 13_31_44-fldigi ver4.1.17 _ Hamlib TS-2000 - W5QJ _ N3FJP Amateur Contact Log.jpg
2021-01-22 13_28_55-fldigi ver4.1.17 _ Hamlib TS-2000 - W5QJ _ N3FJP Amateur Contact Log.jpg

Karl_W5QJ_66

Simon,

And to further complicate the "Transmit, Tune, Tone" issue, I've found if I start SDR Console and then start either fldigi or WSJT-X, after exiting either of these apps, I can magically use the "Tune" button in SDR Console and get RF out of the Hermes. If I attempt to use "Tune" via SDR Console prior to using either fldigi or WSJT-X, no RF comes out of the Hermes by using the SDR Console "Tune" button.

Not sure if this is a related issue, but I've also noticed that if I exit SDR Console and then start either SparkSDR or OpenHPSDR, the Hermes will start up in transmit and on a different frequency that the one I exited SDR Console with. I've learned to startup in a dummy load after a couple of episodes of this happening. Even after turning the Hermes off and then starting either SparkSDR or OpenHPSDR, the same happens. When this occurs, Windows will sometimes give an error message complaining about one of the C libraries.

The fix to the spurious transmit problem is to shutdown the PC and reboot. I can switch back and forth from Spark and HPSDR without seeing this problem. Probably unrelated. Sorry to confuse the original issue.

Thank you,

Karl - W5QJ

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Karl

This is a strange one for sure. Screenshot please as Simon requested just in case anything obvious.

Gateware version? Screenshot would have shown us this as well. Off the top of my head cannot see any reason why having WJST-X connected should in any way affect the normal TX controls. I just tried it and all fine.

May or may not be related, but do you have anything plugged into the PTT jack on the HL2? If so, what?

Obviously if you start up Spark/OpenHPSDR the HL2 frequency will jump to whatever is selected on that program. SDRC does not come into it. The fact it goes straight to TX prompted my question above about the PTT jack.

Screenshot! Make sure it's full screen as generated by the screenshot button on SDRC program top toolbar:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/screenshot

Max

Karl_W5QJ_66

2021-01-22 13_31_44-fldigi ver4.1.17 _ Hamlib TS-2000 - W5QJ _ N3FJP Amateur Contact Log.jpg
2021-01-22 13_28_55-fldigi ver4.1.17 _ Hamlib TS-2000 - W5QJ _ N3FJP Amateur Contact Log.jpg
Hi Max,

Just repeated the phenomena with OpenHPSDR. Yes, I have a Winkeyer plugged into the PTT jack on the Hermes. The Winkeyer interface is a FTDI port configured as COM5.

I've also noticed that sometimes SDR Console may not actually close. When I turn off the Hermes via the SDR Console diallog, and then go the top button above the menu bar, and then select Exit, I sometimes get a Windows message asking if I would like to restart SDR Console. I just close that dialog box out and haven't looked in task manager to see if SDR Console is actually still running.

I can see what happens if I unplug the Winkeyer.

Thanks,

Karl

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Please show a screenshot while using the microphone, you must be speaking into the microphone and the software in TX.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Karl

Apologies, I must have posted last night without refreshing browser and had not seen you did post screenshot. One thing I notice straight away is that you have mode in "split" style, so the TX is in CW mode and initially I thought this might be something to do with it, but I have replicated control positions in my SDRC and HL2 and it all works NP even with tones. Had assumed that CW TX mode would allow key only input, but seems not, so that does not seem to be the issue. I still have some suspicion about whether the FTDI interface into the PTT jack may be doing something odd but no idea what.

What I would like to see is a screenshot of SDRC in manual TX mode (in the fault condition of course) using "Tones", and expand out the "Spectrum" window in the TX DSP panel so that the tones are shown. Also with all drives turned full up (Drive in the TX DSP panel, and OP Power in the "Radio" panel). Ideally also a second picture in TX "Tune" mode, again with both TX drives (Drive and OP Power) fully turned up, but in the fault condition of course.

Max

Karl_W5QJ_66

SDR Console not terminating.jpg
Simon and Max,

I do not have a microphone so I'll have to find something to try. I have had a Winkeyer plugged into the Hermes PTT jack the entire time I've used the Hermes. I've removed it and will try to repeat everything today.

On problem with OpenHPSDR or SparkSDR being opened after SDR Console, looks like SDR Console is not closing on my PC. If I go in and kill SDR Console from task manager, the other programs start up fine.

I've verified this morning.

Thanks,

Karl - W5QJ

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Karl

No need for mic. The Tones feature serves same purpose (injects audio tone into the TX audio in chain), but please enable audio Spectrum display in TX DSP panel whilst in manual TX to generate the screenshot as Simon and I have suggested.

SDRC not closing..... think danger of conflating two separate issues here maybe? I should concentrate on the "no TX" issue first, then maybe look at the shutdown issue afterwards.

We need to see those two screenshots of SDRC when in the "fault" condition, one with "Tone" mode and one in "Tune" mode, both in the problem condition with no TX power showing with all drive controls set to maximum as per my previous post. Also make sure for the screenshots to be in USB or LSB mode also, so that at least we get that working first, then maybe move on to see if any different issue when in CW mode. Needs to be a methodical approach with any issue like this.

Max