Perseus.

rainstar

Perseus.

Unread post by rainstar »

1. The visual gain attenuation modifier, each time the sdr is powered on for the first time in the current sdr instance, applies additional visible and audible gain to the output which is reset when the menu to set the gain is accessed. By this, i do not mean the 10,20,30db decimation with preamplification selector.
  2. There is no option to turn the preamp off, the amplifier on the sdr is always on, and that setting only changes the voltage to the adc, which improves sensitivity by some 2-3 db but reduces dynamic range somewhat when the "preamp" setting is selected.
    see http://play.fallows.ca/wp/radio/softwar ... is-solved/
  3. there are a number of other options that perseus exposes in their native software we do not have access to in sdrconsole.
    among them are more narrowband output than perseus supports, as well as notch filters and dither.
    ADC DITHERING
    "This control enables the A/D converter dither generator and the reduces the amplitude of its
    spurious signals. Spurious responses are improved at the expense of the receiver sensitivity
    (about 2 dB). Users may have this function "always on" unless tuned for example to a very
    quiet 10m band.
    "
    http://microtelecom.it/perseus/perseusu ... l-en14.pdf
    are you planning notch filters and other bandwidths and dither control for sdrconsole? for my uses it would be meaningful.
    i like to use my perseus to listen to very faint signals.
  4. "HFSpan software package allows operation of the receiver in a wideband mode as a 10 KHz - 40 MHz spectrum analyzer with more than 100 dB dynamic range in a 10 kHz RBW" this mode is also something i find interesting. using the perseus as a spectrum analyzer, or having access to spectrum analysis functionality, for purpose of analyzing multiple carriers or images for atmospheric reflection, is something interesting i have only seen done in other programs with other hardware.
  5. being a perseus owner, i almost ever only use sdr-console.
    however, some part of the perseus's capability seems obtained via the DSP used.
    How does the sdr-console DSP compare with the v5 perseus DSP?
  6. f) PASSBAND TUNING: PERSEUS has a right click function within the BW pane, which moves
    the whole selected part of the window around. Right click and hold the shaded area, to drag
    left or right. This is the SDR emulation of Passband Tuning, as there is no real PBT in a zero IF
    single conversion receiver like Perseus.
    In the example below, PERSEUS is tuned to 1070kHz, Canadian MW station CBC Moncton.
    There is QRM from 1071kHz from UK Talk Sport. If the emulated Pass Band Tuning is used, the
    shaded filter area is right clicked, held and dragged to the left, away from the carrier of Talk
    Sport. CBC is then heard free of interference.
    sdrsharp has something that seems similar called an AM co-channel canceler.
    Will sdrconsole ever have something like this?
  7. perseus official software as well as registry/file control has the ability to tweak the preselector control activation.
    sdrconsole automatically switches preselectors when scrolling through the bands, but it might be convenient,
    especially for my uses, to be able to manually select the filters. EG to turn on the 3-4.2 filter while in lower 4's
  8. frequency calibration supports the use of signals like the carrier on WWV to improve the frequency drift of the SDR
    i see a method for tuning the clock offset, is this equivalent?
  9. perseus is only rated to 30mhz but it has an 80msps sample rate ADC. the HFSPAN software allows sampling to 40mhz.
    i assume that, with some experimentation, it should be possible to sample up to 40, although maybe not?. it utilizes an lt2206-14 ADC. this is pin-compatible and output identical with the ltc2207-14 ADC which has a 105mpsps rate, although it draws a bit more power, i wonder if it could be used, and if a customized perseus could work up to 54mhz effectively. this might allow the perseus to be used on the 6 meter band. the 16 bit adc equivalent is also the same number of pins but they are arranged differently with regards to some of the data controls.
  10. http://www.steila.com/blog/index.php?co ... id_post=25
    another feature only possible with sdrs that have manually controllable bandpass filtration and good adc's is the possibility of undersampling
    to reconstruct signals higher in the spectrum than the hardware would normally be able to access.

Simon G4ELI

Re: Perseus.

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Thanks, I'll look at this next week.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

I've been working with the Perseus support, it really did need some loving! A new kit will appear later today, you have full, un restricted access to all Perseus API options.
rainstar wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:47 pm
  1. The visual gain attenuation modifier, each time the sdr is powered on for the first time in the current sdr instance, applies additional visible and audible gain to the output which is reset when the menu to set the gain is accessed. By this, i do not mean the 10,20,30db decimation with preamplification selector.
    Now changed, this is a menu option.
  2. There is no option to turn the preamp off, the amplifier on the sdr is always on, and that setting only changes the voltage to the adc, which improves sensitivity by some 2-3 db but reduces dynamic range somewhat when the "preamp" setting is selected.

see http://play.fallows.ca/wp/radio/softwar ... is-solved/
    Added as a menu option.
  3. there are a number of other options that perseus exposes in their native software we do not have access to in sdrconsole.
    among them are more narrowband output than perseus supports, as well as notch filters and dither.
    ADC DITHERING
    "This control enables the A/D converter dither generator and the reduces the amplitude of its
    spurious signals. Spurious responses are improved at the expense of the receiver sensitivity
    (about 2 dB). Users may have this function "always on" unless tuned for example to a very
    quiet 10m band.
    "
    http://microtelecom.it/perseus/perseusu ... l-en14.pdf
    are you planning notch filters and other bandwidths and dither control for sdrconsole? for my uses it would be meaningful.
    i like to use my perseus to listen to very faint signals.
    Dithering was on by default, it's now a menu option. Normally you would enable Dithering.
  4. "HFSpan software package allows operation of the receiver in a wideband mode as a 10 KHz - 40 MHz spectrum analyzer with more than 100 dB dynamic range in a 10 kHz RBW" this mode is also something i find interesting. using the perseus as a spectrum analyzer, or having access to spectrum analysis functionality, for purpose of analyzing multiple carriers or images for atmospheric reflection, is something interesting i have only seen done in other programs with other hardware.
    Not planned, sorry.
  5. being a perseus owner, i almost ever only use sdr-console.
    however, some part of the perseus's capability seems obtained via the DSP used.
    How does the sdr-console DSP compare with the v5 perseus DSP?
    Probably very different!
  6. f) PASSBAND TUNING: PERSEUS has a right click function within the BW pane, which moves
    the whole selected part of the window around. Right click and hold the shaded area, to drag
    left or right. This is the SDR emulation of Passband Tuning, as there is no real PBT in a zero IF
    single conversion receiver like Perseus.
    In the example below, PERSEUS is tuned to 1070kHz, Canadian MW station CBC Moncton.
    There is QRM from 1071kHz from UK Talk Sport. If the emulated Pass Band Tuning is used, the
    shaded filter area is right clicked, held and dragged to the left, away from the carrier of Talk
    Sport. CBC is then heard free of interference.
    sdrsharp has something that seems similar called an AM co-channel canceler.
    Will sdrconsole ever have something like this?
    Passband tuning is there - you can drag the filter around. I will add co-channel cancellation later.
  7. perseus official software as well as registry/file control has the ability to tweak the preselector control activation.
    sdrconsole automatically switches preselectors when scrolling through the bands, but it might be convenient,
    especially for my uses, to be able to manually select the filters. EG to turn on the 3-4.2 filter while in lower 4's
    Added a Filter menu where you can now enable Automatic selection or select a specific filter.
  8. frequency calibration supports the use of signals like the carrier on WWV to improve the frequency drift of the SDR
    i see a method for tuning the clock offset, is this equivalent?
    You need a reference for calibration, WWV is more than good enough.
  9. perseus is only rated to 30mhz but it has an 80msps sample rate ADC. the HFSPAN software allows sampling to 40mhz.
    i assume that, with some experimentation, it should be possible to sample up to 40, although maybe not?. it utilizes an lt2206-14 ADC. this is pin-compatible and output identical with the ltc2207-14 ADC which has a 105mpsps rate, although it draws a bit more power, i wonder if it could be used, and if a customized perseus could work up to 54mhz effectively. this might allow the perseus to be used on the 6 meter band. the 16 bit adc equivalent is also the same number of pins but they are arranged differently with regards to some of the data controls.
    Easier to buy another more modern SDR - Airspy, SDRplay, ...
  10. http://www.steila.com/blog/index.php?co ... id_post=25
    another feature only possible with sdrs that have manually controllable bandpass filtration and good adc's is the possibility of undersampling
    to reconstruct signals higher in the spectrum than the hardware would normally be able to access.
    Not planned at the moment.
Attachments
New Perseus UI
New Perseus UI
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

G3TDJ

Unread post by G3TDJ »

Grateful if I could test the new (Perseus) SDRC kit Simon. I have Perseus S/No. 02382 - from about 9 years ago

Andy G3TDJ