Dosimeter

💥 A general forum for topics not directly linked to SDR.
lappydesktop

Dosimeter

Unread post by lappydesktop »

The day before yesterday i received a handheld personnel Dosimeter , brand new and a weeks wait off the bay .

14 day battery life with screen and alarms off , rechargeable .

After setting it all up i hung it on the wall off a self tapper turned on , the default alarm setting was for 1.0 microsiervert (uSv) , so as since after looking it up seemingly .5 is the average normal dose rate i set it to .3uSv just because .

The Average background radiation reading was ranging .08 to .13 all day (like 8hours+) , then later at night sitting here at the computer on the web and SW/AM around 10pm then all of a sudden the dosimeter went off , as it's just behind me i saw the meter reading slowly climbed to .58 and then stopped and went back to .11uSv , it happened at least 10 times until i went to bed with readings between .35 to a max of 6.1 until i turned it off (i wanted to sleep) .

Then last night after having the dosimeter on all day with it going off only once or twice throughout the whole day and noticing the SW bands were absolutely smoking hot at night with with my normal memory stations which are usually say S9 were 20 over and those that were normally 10 or 20 over were 50 to 60 over S9 so great propagation from the North Africa region/area , i also monitor space weather.com and they were saying something is going to happen soon as the sun is very active at the moment .

That above is just a quick rundown on what I'm up to and its a precursor to this next question and if anyone also has a dosimeter ,
The question is , is the Dosimeter picking up the suns radiation/cme (coronal mass ejection) wave remnants and it comes in waves

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else that has a dosimeter turned on to a low reading alarm , cheers

jdow

Re: Dosimeter

Unread post by jdow »

Possibly. But, you can also look up "Biggest Of All Time" in reference to astronomy. Apparently that event is still detectable. (And thank the odd gods that it was some 2.5 billion light years away. It even affected the Earth's atmosphere at that distance.)

{^_^}

lappydesktop

jdow wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:01 am Possibly. But, you can also look up "Biggest Of All Time" in reference to astronomy. Apparently that event is still detectable. (And thank the odd gods that it was some 2.5 billion light years away. It even affected the Earth's atmosphere at that distance.)
{^_^}
I looked and looked (searched) and everything that resulted was so vague , got a link?

Anyway the update is ,
I set the Dosimeter to .5 uSv alarm as it was getting annoying but did/was starting to subside in the alarm frequency before that .

Now for nearly 24hr 1 full day it has gone off maybe 4 times at .5 uSv , so far twice as it just started to rain/drizzle , the other 2 just randomly and coincidentally the Sun has backed off a bit going by spaceweather , also i saw on the Tv that Japan has or is about to release that low level water but that is mostly Tritium and they say nearly drinkable?

All those alarms going off has had a impact on the battery which is 3/4 full or just below that , i'll wait to cycle the battery and then start again set at .6uSv .
cheers

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Search for "biggest of all time supernova". Duck Duck Go has a lot of references to it including Scientific American and Wired.

Anton Petrov has an interesting recent update on YouTube.

{^_^}

lappydesktop

jdow wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:26 am Search for "biggest of all time supernova". Duck Duck Go has a lot of references to it including Scientific American and Wired.

Anton Petrov has an interesting recent update on YouTube.

{^_^}
Thanks for that , adding supernova certainly narrowed it down .

GlobalInnovator

Unread post by GlobalInnovator »

I have followed CMEs, as studied by NASA for years.
If CME is directed to the Earth and followed by a crack in magnetosphere
you get spike in dosimeter's readings.

Your dosimeter can detect radon as well.

I have built working models of sunspots, using magneticc fluid in high magnetic field.

It makes sense to get protected at home while strong CME is coming and is followed by the crack in magnetosphere,
since high energy particles are responsible for sudden heart attacks, if targeting humans in outdoor.

I have joined 3 projects by NASA as Citizen Scientist
and develop Earthquake Forecasting System for Turkey made of remote seismic sensors, accelerometers, smartphones sending earthquake signals to SDR server for processing and P-wave energy envelope calculation to study underground earthquake's energy distribution by domino effect.

Unfortunately, Matplotlib, numpy crash Python for Windows 7, 32-bit
and installed RTL SDR usb dongle installed, recognized, fails to receive any signal in SDR Console ver.3.2

darius

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

lappydesktop, that's why I mentioned '"biggest of all time" in reference to astronomy.' That should have narrowed it down.
{^_-}

lappydesktop

GlobalInnovator wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:50 am I have followed CMEs, as studied by NASA for years.
If CME is directed to the Earth and followed by a crack in magnetosphere
you get spike in dosimeter's readings.

Your dosimeter can detect radon as well.

I have built working models of sunspots, using magneticc fluid in high magnetic field.

It makes sense to get protected at home while strong CME is coming and is followed by the crack in magnetosphere,
since high energy particles are responsible for sudden heart attacks, if targeting humans in outdoor.

I have joined 3 projects by NASA as Citizen Scientist
and develop Earthquake Forecasting System for Turkey made of remote seismic sensors, accelerometers, smartphones sending earthquake signals to SDR server for processing and P-wave energy envelope calculation to study underground earthquake's energy distribution by domino effect.

Unfortunately, Matplotlib, numpy crash Python for Windows 7, 32-bit
and installed RTL SDR usb dongle installed, recognized, fails to receive any signal in SDR Console ver.3.2

darius
Interesting stuff and tnx for the info/confirmation , yesterday a 6.3 uSv was picked up the only one for the day

Fine also on the CME's , i have been fascinated over the years when sitting at the HF radio (past 20m and up to 30mhz) when a CME turns up and one can see the s-meter rise just on band noise and also hear the (ocean waves sound) the whooshing coming and going , sometimes but rarely can be past 10 over S-9 or more .
The best results when it happens are around 25MHz when the no-signal band noise is S-0 so the CME is clearly distinguishable , cheers Paul

lappydesktop

jdow wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:53 am lappydesktop, that's why I mentioned '"biggest of all time" in reference to astronomy.' That should have narrowed it down.
{^_-}
No it did not , that was the trouble , there was a lot of "biggest" out there on the net , pages and pages of search results , from penis to boobs to pizza :lol: , thanks though again for the links .

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Ah, I figured too much, like a search such as '"Biggest of all time" (astronomy)'. That's a trick I learned to disambiguate, at least on Wikipoodle. Sorry about that.
{^_^}