Trying to suppress this noise...Any ideas?

đź’Ą A general forum for topics not directly linked to SDR.
Skydawg

Re: Trying to suppress this noise...Any ideas?

Unread post by Skydawg »

Last week I ordered a step attenuator off ebay. Came in yesterday and It helps drop the noise down without greatly impacting the signal. I use it mostly on the low settings (1 through 10 and mostly a combination of the first 4 switches). If your handy and have some resistors on hand this could be made for much less.
John
Attenuator.jpg

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

That is nice at HF. It's not so nice at VHF and above where you need a low noise figure. In fact I'd say it is a required piece of equipment for people with low loss antennas at HF. 30 dB attenuation is not too much on 160 or 80.

{^_^}

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Skydawg wrote: ↑Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:55 pm I am listening on an SDRPlay RSP1A. The antenna is a MyAntenna EFHW8010 in inverted V over the tree about 40ft high, fed to the receiver with 12ft of RG8/u. I am in rural Missouri on 8 acres. Nearest neighbor at least 100yds away through the woods. Attached screed shot. Can you shed any light on the AGC hang and decay sliders? How they might effect the signal.

John

Screenshot-2020-10-09-174809.png
I see you have the Wideband DSP Noise Blanker on.... not sure if this is causes the issue but wrongly set, it can cause distorsion.
73, Leon