Noise Source Finally Found (2-3 MHz am)

💥 A general forum for topics not directly linked to SDR.
Robert11

Noise Source Finally Found (2-3 MHz am)

Unread post by Robert11 »

Hi,

Since for the last 6 months or so, I have been annoying everyone for
suggestions as to what my very substantial noise might be (2 to 3 MHz, am), thought I would Post what I have, finally,
discovered.

In our kitchen, we have a very, very, very, old 14" (diag.) CRT TV.
There is a Comcast box that feeds it, and does the switching via the handheld remote.

Yup, when the TV is shut off, noise would go away (Comcast box no problem, apparently; just the TV)

Wife is emotionally attached to set, as the CRT viewing angle makes it easy to see
from anywhere in the kitchen. Picture is still amazingly good.

So, I guess the next step is to load up the ac power cord, and the coax between the TV and Comcast box with
lots of Ferrites.

Anyone have any thoughts on other approaches (other than getting a new wife), and/or which Ferrites would likely be the most effective, etc.,
would be appreciative.

BTW: just to learn: what component in the TV is likely causing the interference ? Flyback transformer, or...?

And, any small kitchen size non-CRT TV models or brands likely to also have a really good viewing angle ?

Regards, stay well,
Bob

G0OFE

Re: Noise Source Finally Found (2-3 MHz am)

Unread post by G0OFE »

Get a new wife.....😈
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

DaveB

Unread post by DaveB »

Just spotted this post. There was a story in the national newspaper where an ancient crt tv wiped out broadband for a whole village.

A convenient spillage could solve the problem.....

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Or an accidental discharge of a firearm?

Need to find out if it's originating via the line cord or internally.
If the line cord, one FT240-31 toroid with as many passes through with the line cord as close as you can to the TV set may tame it down.
I used one on our HE clothes washer, and replaced the poorly engineered AC line filter inside the unit to make it oblivious to the SDR RX antenna located 20' overhead.

On a lighter note, think of all the counter space you could free up with a nice, new, LCD TV. Heck, get a 'Smart TV' and now you can stream music/video while in kitchen!

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

on2ron

Unread post by on2ron »

Yes Kriss, and also the energy you are going to save with a new TV. My wife is very understanding and (tries) to follow my thinking pattern and knows that this is an important thing for me. Just collect as many positive things to say about a new TV and get her to think about it. Let it all settle down for some days or weeks. It mostly always works here ;-)

73' Ron