DXGalaxy.com

💥 A general forum for topics not directly linked to SDR.
Simon G4ELI

Re: DXGalaxy.com

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

jdow wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:45 am Not even for SDR Digital shall I ever use Microsoft's browser voluntarily. Hopefully it will handle FireFox, Chrome, and Brave at least.
{o.o}
You do realise that Edge uses the Chrome engine?
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Over the years I have grown to despise the concept of a Microsoft web browser. I've learned to associate it with "suckity-poo" at a level far far worse than Windows 95 (a rickety old French Beetle knockoff with a broken motor and a lawn chair as a seat). I was spoiled by "It's wonderful but crashes entirely too often below version 2.2 Commodore's AmigaDOS on Amigas. Comparatively a Ford Mustang.

{^_^}

pauldbnut

Unread post by pauldbnut »

jdow wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:25 am Over the years I have grown to despise the concept of a Microsoft web browser.
This is unworthy rhetoric couched in smart-ass language.
Why would you hate the "concept of" a Microsoft web browser, or anything else?

Give me fact-based critique of specific aspects of specific software. Even give me rationale for hating "Microsoft" so much.
Or (preferably) find a better splinternet forum for venting that kind of spleen.
Stick to your usual quality technical contributions in this place.

For the record, I use nearly a dozen Microsoft programs because they are f*ing good.
By no means perfect, but I don't lose too much sleep over that.
Paul White (Grumpy Old Git)

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

This is a visceral reaction to bad experiences. Microsoft cannot make good browsers in my considered opinion generated by highly annoying difficulties with them. I don't touch Apple products for precisely the same reason. I cannot get them to work MY way instead of a Procrustean bed featuring some "human factors weenie's one true way." Different people approach problems, even very simple problems, different ways. If possible SW should adapt to these people rather than the other way around. (And for the record I am using different browsers for different tasks and NONE of them leave me particularly happy.)

A fine example exists in the show control industry, the behind the scenes control that makes theaters and rides work. Some people started out as musicians. So to them everything is a score with MIDI notes. Some people approach from another direction and see lists of actions to take, load fireside scene, cue fireside scene, go fireside scene. Both approaches can give outstanding results. Both can give trash results if a notes person tries to deal with a program with a lists paradigm.

{o.o}