Audio Distortion

LHower

Audio Distortion

Unread post by LHower »

Hello to all:

I am a new user and very happy to find this forum.

I am in need of some help with regard to distorted audio when using an SDRPlay RSP Duo with SDR Console. SDR Console is a great software program and I have friends who use it very well.

System setup:
Intel NUC i7 3.0GHz
16Gb Ram
Win 10 Pro - Current
SDR Console V3.0.24
SDRPlay_API 3.07.2 - From link shown in this forum.
Using standard internal Win setup for audio, etc.

I have tried to install an older API/driver but apparently no improvement in audio.

CPU load = 10%

Audio = 600+ms

The audio is "behind" and sounds like person with gravelly voice. (kind of underwater but not exactly).

Audio is fine with SDR Uno. Also, I have operated various SDR radios, Elad FDM DUO, etc., but that does not mean I know what I am doing...

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Hower
VK7WLH
W0LH

jdow

Re: Audio Distortion

Unread post by jdow »

Let's see a picture that clearly shows your settings, mode, and all that. Do not edit. Do not shrink it. Post it full size even if it's on a quad of 8HD screens. Simon and the rest of us who might help need to see what you are doing. We don't even know the mode. "The audio is distorted" tells us nothing useful as obviously we do not see it. This could be anything from a settings issue to a USB problem. MAYBE, if you turn down the SDRC audio level and increase the MS audio mixer (SndVol.exe) level for SDRC it might help. That's a reach but the only guess I can make lacking real information.

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

LHower wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 am The audio is "behind" and sounds like person with gravelly voice. (kind of underwater but not exactly).
Can you post a recording here? I sometimes seem to get distortion but it's only on the speaker output, but when I make a recording from inside SDRC (using SDRCs own audio record facility) the recording is fine. A Windows audio system restart cures it. In other words, it's a Windows issue not SDRC, for me at any rate.

Be interested to know if your recording made from SDRC is clear or distorted? If you did not know you can post it here by pressing the "Full Editor" button at the bottom of the message window then "attach" it to the message.

A common cause of audio distortion in SDRC comes up here quite a few times and that's if you have the AGC turned off in the RX DSP panel, but the manual gain slider is set too high. Personally I never have need to use the manual AGC option in the DSP panel. Note it's the AGC in the DSP panel I'm talking about, not the radio's own AGC on the ribbon bar at the top of the window.

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

AGC? NFM don't need no AGC.

(See what I mean by picture picture picture rants? I'm merely echoing Simon on that.)

I would suggest that you run the audio WAY too hot. You can overload the windows sound system (typically 16 bit integers) quite easily and fairly suddenly sound quality deteriorates dramatically. Mind your gain distribution through the audio system to avoid multiple potential sources of overload. Recordings can correct for this. Nothing more from me without the aforementioned pictures. You might hear Simon remark about pictures, though.

{^_^}

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Without the screen shot of the screen with the DSP panel in full view(use camera 📷 looking icon on top ribbon bar!), we are just shooting blindly in the dark.
Since there was no mention in the OP about what frequency and mode the OP was using at the time, I have a few rounds of ammo left:
Turn off the NB, NR, and as above... make sure the AGC in the DSP panel is NOT off. Underwater sounds occur when there is Aurora, or one has the NR cranked up too much. (I never use it due to the distortion)

One thing is alarming though, +600ms of audio delay when using an SDR locally is WAY OUT of spec. One might see something like that when accessing a remote server, but not an SDR that is locally plugged in.

Patiently awaiting a screen shot to further assist, along with many others....

73 Kriss KA1GJU/AM
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

Max

Unread post by Max »

jdow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:29 am AGC? NFM don't need no AGC.

(See what I mean by picture picture picture rants? I'm merely echoing Simon on that.)

{^_^}
Yep, fair point Joanne. Just a general comment on audio distortion in many cases but of course not in this case.

Max