Leaving the SDRdx (and others) plugged in

lappydesktop

Leaving the SDRdx (and others) plugged in

Unread post by lappydesktop »

Hi all , is there any issues known about leaving the SDR plugged in to USB at all :?:

I have been lately leaving it plugged in on shutdown on win10 (after closing the software) , its on a port that does not have continuous power enabled and then on win10 startup the SDR is detected and available until i shutdown the computer again , so far so good but was wondering if it's all ok to do that as it saves the effort to keep plugging in and unplugging the USB cable as I'm always listening to something when the computer is on , tia

KA1GJU

Re: Leaving the SDRdx (and others) plugged in

Unread post by KA1GJU »

I know my SDR-iq's goes absolutely bonkers when W10 decides to reboot after an update, even on a powered USB hub. The SDR-iq has relays in the bandpass filters, and they chatter fiercely for about 5 seconds with a short delay and then again. So far, nothing broken, but the contacts are probably being self cleaned!
You'll probably destroy the USB connector for they're probably not rated for hundreds of connects/disconnects. If anything, the solder holding the port to the circuit board will fail... like folks are finding on HF rigs when using the 3.5mm audio jacks daily.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

lappydesktop

KA1GJU wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:20 pm I know my SDR-iq's goes absolutely bonkers when W10 decides to reboot after an update, even on a powered USB hub. The SDR-iq has relays in the bandpass filters, and they chatter fiercely for about 5 seconds with a short delay and then again. So far, nothing broken, but the contacts are probably being self cleaned!
You'll probably destroy the USB connector for they're probably not rated for hundreds of connects/disconnects. If anything, the solder holding the port to the circuit board will fail... like folks are finding on HF rigs when using the 3.5mm audio jacks daily.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
The very 1st time i left it plugged in and restarted from a cold boot the sdr did not get detected so i unplugged and re-plugged and it got detected and since that 1st time it always gets detected at a cold boot , dunno what happened or why as it just works now every time .

And wear on the usb socket was also a thought but i just never mentioned it as the issue really is just my laziness and the hassle of unplug/plug every time i use the SDRdx , cheers

Max

Unread post by Max »

lappydesktop wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:09 am Hi all , is there any issues known about leaving the SDR plugged in to USB at all :?:
Can't imaging for a moment that 95% of users ever bother to unplug once installed I've got three receivers permanently plugged in to USB. Only time I think there could be an issue is if you transmit at any sort of power level over maybe 100W and you suspect there is RF floating around on the kit (due to poor choking of antennas systems). The RSP range are particularly susceptible to front end damage. I'm told by SDR Play that this is unavoidable:

"Regarding the susceptibility to damage, a lot of our units are purchased by radio hams and we do stress the dangers of applying excess RF energy to the inputs of our units as many people fail to appreciate that it is simply not possible to provide the same level of protection to devices that have to operate at up to 2 GHz as you can with an HF receiver. Conventional protection devices such as spark gaps, relays and gas discharge tubes would have a catastrophic effect on the performance at UHF and above."

"As far as potential sources of damage, whilst all ports on all of our devices are rated to 8kV, ESD damage remains a possibility. Disconnecting the antennas when not in use can certainly help protect you from lightning strikes, but perversely can also increase the risk of ESD damage. Floating antennas can accumulate large amounts of static charge, which will result in an ESD strike and connecting it to your receiver. A high value bleed resistor at the feed point will prevent this charge accumulation and thus ensure no ESD risk when the antenna is connected."

So there you have it. Interpret as you see fit!

Max

lappydesktop

Max wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:58 pm
lappydesktop wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:09 am Hi all , is there any issues known about leaving the SDR plugged in to USB at all :?:
Can't imaging for a moment that 95% of users ever bother to unplug once installed I've got three receivers permanently plugged in to USB.
Max
Onya Max that's a bit more comforting and thanks .

Regarding the other stuff it looks like they be nearly as smart as me :D and good sensible advice , years ago all that was common sense (who said common sense was common) , spark plugs were used , pointy bits of wire one end grounded all sorts of stuff mostly back in the day of tube front ends and open wire feeders but these days it's a different kettle of fish as you're well aware , cheers