Starting out

Caroline

Starting out

Unread post by Caroline »

Hi Simon,
I was really impressed with your software. I'm just about to finish my foundation degree in electronic engineering and I wanted to start playing with writing my own software. I have only really done basic Arduino codes like arrays and things and a bit got used to the Linux terminal. I'm interested in developing software that will display the demodulated signal of FM radio through the use of SDR and I know it's probably not a simple thing to do. I was wondering if you have any advice on where I should start? From what I have learned the best place to start is by looking at other people's code, I'm curious which code did you look at to start out and develop your understanding of the software that you created?
All the best
Caroline

jdow

Re: Starting out

Unread post by jdow »

CuteSDR is a nice very basic tutorial project. It shows you the basics. It has at least one error that seems to have propagated to all SDR code I've had the privilege to see. It's a PLL loop filter that has its squared term fall off the bottom of the resolution needed when using "float" data type. I have generated a tweak, read ugly hack, that fixes this. (It bothered by autism even though it works fairly well.)

There are some other projects out there such as Teensy SDR (for Arduino I believe) and HPSDR but they do not do FM broadcast let alone the stereo subcarrier.

GitHub is a worthwhile place to search. Unfortunately not many authors care to release their code.

{^_^}

Caroline

Unread post by Caroline »

Thank you, J. Dow,

Yeah, that code seems great, less complex than some other ones, it does look like a good one to start off with learning.
Well, it makes sense why people wouldn't want to share code because they spend years building something just for someone else to take credit.
However, I'd like to believe in the big picture, and I would share ideas in the future after developing something useful/creative if I can. Because I think people can accomplish more together because we all learn from each other.
I suppose when someone sets out to create a software with a specific idea, with a lot of determination, they will reach their goal. Regardless of whether they read people's codes but it will likely take them much, much longer.
Nice to see that you are also in the "tribe", with great power comes great responsibility :p.
I have come across is SDR-J-FM on GitHub, which is a really nifty open-source software specifically for FM, but a bit too complex for me yet.

Cheers
Caroline

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Stuff I write for myself, for my own amusement, has source code I'd not care to share on an aesthetics basis alone.

{o.o}