Problem in HL2 or setting false in sdr-radio ?

Max

Re: Problem in HL2 or setting false in sdr-radio ?

Unread post by Max »

And make sure for these tests OP POWER slider is ALWAYS at MAX (not setting 4!)

Max

pcGerrit

Unread post by pcGerrit »

Hi Max,

This morning I started testing and made a large text for you as I did not get output.
I have a analog Daiwa meter and was not putting gain proc and drive not to high.
Found 0,3 watts at the moment that I was writing to you a fail message... that was last attempt with ATU100 ( ALI) switched in the line to DummyLoad it gave 0,3
YES ! I have to set OP to MAX in Receive.
And have to set in master gain settings Drive to max and then slide up the Drive on transmit carefully up and watch the power and set to 1,5 watt and tune.
Tested tone and got 3 watt out
Then tested Mic and have gain and proc in master gain at 100% + Mic boost now at 2.5
Connected with HEIL Headset Mic is not so strong...
After some fine adjusting I managed to hear My LSB sigs Back on websdr at 20 km's.

during whole procedure I had 1x hanging SDR-CONSOLE and 1x Crash window.
Do I need to send the data if that happens ?

I am happy so far and need now to build or Buy a PA.
Which PA is good for HL2 ?
found HLM150V plus but for sure you have more idea's
I also opted for the new extension add on board which I saw on Hermes forums and is to be assembled by makerfabs.

Have a nice day and many thanks !!

Gerrit
PA3EIP

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi Gerrit

I hope you do not mind me saying, but you can be a lot more "reckless" with the HL2 settings. I think I mentioned before. There is very little that you can do to the built-in 5W PA to damage it. I have abused mine hugely, full power into mismatched loads. IMO there just is not the power to do any damage. Into a matched antenna or dummy load, you will DEFINITELY NOT damage it, even if full power for long periods. The only issue is overheating, but even then HL2 will shutdown TX if the PA gets over 50C. Even this is no temperature at all. Nothing to worry about. You will NOT damage it!

So, as I mentioned several times before, when in TUNE mode, the applied audio from the TUNE feature is not at 100% audio level, so OP Power and DRIVE (TUNE) can be at MAX otherwise you will definitely not see 5W out of the HL2. In fact, as you can see from the spectrum scope, the audio applied in TUNE mode is about -3dB from peak. You will be able to see more power using TONE mode, and adjust the audio output using Audio Input GAIN control. On my Issue 9 HL2 build I only ever see about 4W out max.

Regarding Mic input, SDRC needs a LOT of drive at the input, hence I have Mic Boost in SDRC set to +20dB! So long as you do not overdrive your audio card input, and you do not overdrive the Audio Spectrum scope in SDRC you will have a clean signal. So (in my opinion) you need MUCH MORE mic boost than +2dB if you want to see anywhere near 4-5W output!

You also did not do what I asked and show screenshot of the "Audio In" panel that I requested, because I do believe you have Master Gain turned down in here on at least some bands? It's the only way I could emulate your low output levels in TUNE mode. One thing is sure and that is that your HL2 is perfectly OK otherwise you would not see 5W in CW mode.

I have said these things many times now, so I will not repeat them again. Please be more bold in your application of gains as described above or you simply will NOT see anywhere near 5W out of the HL2 with SDRC.

The ONLY thing you need to make sure is not to allow audio on the TX DSP spectrum scope to greatly exceed 100%. Even then, Simon has superb compression algorithm in the TX DSP chain and also a very effective PROC feature so you will need to try very hard to produce a poor quality signal! Please stop worrying so much about overdriving the HL2. You will not break it!

Regarding amplifiers, I too had an RM Italy HLA150 Plus. Yes, it;s a very good companion for HL2. I can confirm it works nicely. Just do not overdrive, but you cannot do that with HL2 anyway so you will get a nice clean 80W output. See notes here:
https://www.w8ji.com/rm_hla-150_test.htm

I now have one of these and it works very nicely for easy 400W out using HL2 (UK legal limit):
https://www.dxworld-e.com/product-page/ ... ifier-500w

Good luck and have fun.

Max

pcGerrit

Unread post by pcGerrit »

Hi Max,

I must thank You for our patience with me.
Your message is very clear and I can be more wild with things as I thought.
I will print your last message...
Still I an very cautious with HL2.
I did order from Aliexpress 45W MX-P50M Hf Amp it has a good Youtube video and is there connected to HL2 and price and power less than RM HLA150V.
5 watts is to low in this distubed surrounding area nobody will hear me HI
In near future I will perhaps order RM HLA150V Or save mony to get the 500 Watts Amp you have also because then Band LPF can work automatic sense. Better for remote working.
First make some more experience with all settings. there is much to learn for me.
On this forum I had lots of problems to get around with things getting on the reply list.
All together good lesson for me.
You judged me right I was much to cautious on the PA.

Max Thanks again and hope That I can ask more questions if needed.

Have a nice day,

Gerrit.

Max

Unread post by Max »

pcGerrit wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:44 pm You judged me right I was much to cautious on the PA.
Max Thanks again and hope That I can ask more questions if needed.
Have a nice day,
Gerrit.
Yes of course Gerrit. No problem. That is what we come here for.... to solve problems so that you can enjoy Simon's excellent software!

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

pcGerrit wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:44 pm I did order from Aliexpress 45W MX-P50M Hf Amp it has a good Youtube video and is there connected to HL2 and price and power less than RM HLA150V.

Gerrit.
Forgot to say..... be very careful with handling of AliExpress amplifiers. They almost certainly have fake (counterfeit) LDMOS transistors. You WILL need to be careful with SWR etc. on one of those unless it has good built-in protections. But looks good for clean output of about 30-35W:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8v8fohU9ak

I can recommend the RM HLA150. Good protection and very good auto-sense LPF band switching. You will not overdrive it with the HL2 (not enough power) so therefore it is a good match because the signal will be clean at around 80W output.

Look out for a good used one. I paid approx 180 EUR for mine from used equipment forum here in the UK. Or place "wanted" ad locally in NL?

Good luck anyway whatever you use.

Max