SDR Console v3 Install Footprint?

jdow

Re: SDR Console v3 Install Footprint?

Unread post by jdow »

I'm not sure you could clear even 100 Megabytes off the install and keep it stable. Being pig headed over using an under provisioned machine seems a little silly in a world of terabyte disks. (You could likely save a lot of disk space pulling manufacturer's bloatware off the machine if you've not already done that.)

{^_^}

Bo3b

Unread post by Bo3b »

@jdow You're right. am being a little silly stubborn over trying to use existing resources. Just thought 600+ MB seemed excessive, worth trying to slim down somewhat and having good info would have helped. Also working on the "other" (bloatware, etc) taking up space. (Most applications on machine come in at much smaller footprint - HDSDR is around 80 MB...)

Anyhow, Thanks.
Last edited by Bo3b on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G0OFE

Unread post by G0OFE »

It's a tradeoff between relatively simple (HDSDR) and comprehensive (Console) - the bigger the package, the more code there is and the bigger footprint it will take up.

I know what you mean by bloatware. Just replaced my laptop with a new 10th gen i7 one (thrashed the last one for four years and now getting frequent BSODs) and next task is to remove as much bloatware as possible!
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Never tried to strip it myself so these are estimates:
C:\Program Files\SDR-Radio.com (V3): arround 600Mb after install, depending on your radio you can delete around 100Mb of dll's from unused radio's and 26Mb from unneeded VC-redist install files in the submap x64
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\Console\Ident0 : about 43Mb including two big files Freq. Database and Favourites. In my case these are 40Mb together. Ident1 and higher: if present and not used then these are very small (261 kB).
Pls don't complain if SDRC get problems (so backup ...) cos i don't know what happens when some files are missing.

Bo3b

Unread post by Bo3b »

@PD3LK Thanks for the guesstimates, I appreciate the effort and info. Working on general cleanup of PC and then will experiment with SDR Console. I understand that better often means bigger but when I looked at other installs on the target machine and found them typically less than 300 MB or so I began to wonder...

W4RLS

Unread post by W4RLS »

Have you tried NTFS disk compression? In many cases, there is little to no performance hit, especially on slower physical disks, as the compression means less physical reads and the CPU decompresses faster than the I/O rate.

Try compressing little-used or static folders in Program Files. I generally shy away from compressing the Windows folder, but it certainly can be compressed.

But by far the best thing you can do is to replace that old hard drive with an SSD. Your laptop will thank you!

Bo3b

Unread post by Bo3b »

Thanks to all offering thoughts. Was able to recover space on drive and trim some unneeded "excess" from Console without apparent adverse affect. But without official guidance regarding candidate files didn't feel confident in application stability. So decided trying to fit Console within confines of laptop just wasn't worth the effort. Using smaller, cleaner footprint solution.