More then 1 SDR Dongle but only one serial

peterlee

More then 1 SDR Dongle but only one serial

Unread post by peterlee »

Hi there,

mainly I'm using v3.0.27 with an NooElec Nooelec NESDR SMArt v4 (RTL2832U & R820T2) Dongle to receive POCSAG Pager messages.
So, I want to use 2 sticks to decode different frequencies - I ordered the "little brother" NooElec NESDR Nano 2 Plus (TL2832U & R820T2 also), plugged it in a different USB Port and installed the needed driver with zadig.
In windows devices are 2 sticks sucessfully installed / shown, but SDR Console seems only to see one stick at a time.
Both work! If I unplug one of them its working, but SDR Console only finds one and if I start a different instance its showing "Radio in use"...

So it seems SDR Console is only finding the sick with serial 0001, is there a way to define a serial 0002 to the second stick?
or a backdoor to "fake" it?

Would be so great to get it working!

Excuse my bad english please - german here...

jdow

Re: More then 1 SDR Dongle but only one serial

Unread post by jdow »

With great caution you can get decent results with great care you can use my RTLTool. It is best used very judiciously.

But, if you follow your nose (and rtlsdr settings.jpg) below you can select "Radio Configuration", highlighted in the menu bar in this picture. That brings up the rtlsdr configuration property pages dialogs. Select "Edit EPROM stri..." and get the page shown. The only line you want to diddle is the third line where I have "RTLSDR 2" for the dongle selected. (The noise in the first picture is because it is on a test antenna in the computer room.) You are limited to around 200 characters. But, for sanity's sake make it short like I did. It is really an identification string more than a serial number string. As you can see, the string can have any 8 bit ASCII characters in it. (I now RTLTool would be unhappy with Unicode. But MAYBE Simon made UNICODE work. Personally, I would not try it to maintain compatibility with other tools.)
rtlsdr settings.png
RTLConfig.jpg
{^_^}