SpyVerter / RTLSDR Up 120 MHz Question

jkreski

SpyVerter / RTLSDR Up 120 MHz Question

Unread post by jkreski »

I am running a Windows 10 PC with a RTLSDR dongle and a SpyVerter. I am trying to tune HF around 1.310 MHz. I select UP 120 MHz to up convert the HF frequency to something that the RTLSDR can tune. When I do that I find I am tuning in an VHF/UHF aircraft band I think. It is hard to tell.. My HF MODE is set to NONE. What am I missing? I had this working nicely for quite some time and I think some setting(s) must have been altered along the way. Thanks in advance. I am an experienced ham user but am stumped on the software settings. 73 de AB9NN.

m3ghe

Re: SpyVerter / RTLSDR Up 120 MHz Question

Unread post by m3ghe »

Post a screenshot of your 'Select Radio' window please.
Martin
m3ghe
IO92sc
G-QRP club 6129
Use my online radios http://remoteradio.myddns.me/ or http://remoteradio.changeip.org/

jkreski

Unread post by jkreski »

The screen shot is attached. I run four dongles but have always selected the one dongle I designate for HF. The others were busy scanning at the time on DSD+ FastLane so it's not an issue of selecting the wrong dongle I believe.
Attachments
Screenshot (95).png

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Do you have the Bias-T turned on when running SpyVerter? It appears on the Home menu about the middle of all the dongle-ish entries.
{^_^}

jkreski

Unread post by jkreski »

Nope. I run power to the SpyVerter. That hasn't changed since I've had the SpyVerter.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

If you are not seeing HF and only see aircraft band then either your SpyVerter's LO is toast, it has no power, or something blew the diodes in the mixer. Make VERY sure you have power actually inside the SpyVerter. The USB connectors for power are ..... well, this is a family channel.

{^_^}

jkreski

Unread post by jkreski »

Here is the fun part. My old one had locked-up and had nothing but a solid tone and screen full of non-moving hash. I tried rebooting several times and figured it just fried so I ordered a new one. When it arrived it did the same thing. Later, after several Windows updates and reboots they both came back to life and are doing the exact same thing. I tried with Bias-T off and on and double-checked the power cable connections on both sides. No joy! Thinking of calling the SpyVerter manufacturer but thought I would check-in here first figuring maybe it was some setting I was missing.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

RTLSDR dongles have a funny state they can fall into that locks them up. The ONLY cures for this are a full power off reboot (solution unsatisfactory) or temporarily removing the dongle and plugging it back in (this is what I do). The dongle needs a power off reset to clear this state.

{^_^}