RDS decoding, National alphabets

Simon G4ELI

Re: RDS decoding, National alphabets

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

OK,

I see what I have to do to detect the code table repertoire, but a 'normal' western Windows will not have Arabic, Hebrew, ... fonts installed by default so I wouldn't be able to display this text properly.

I could add these fonts in the software, load as needed etc. but that's a lot of work!

Also I need someone to get a good, long recording of strong stations which display Hebrew or Arabic so I can correctly detect the code table switching.

Summary: don't hold your breath :) .
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

ukdx

Unread post by ukdx »

All I can say is, I'll see what I can do in September if I'm allowed to go to 5B, it's all booked but unless my FIFA membership comes through in time I'm not sure we'll get there. If we do make it I'll grab all the quirky RDS signals I can find. :D

Paul

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

ukdx wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:38 pm All I can say is, I'll see what I can do in September if I'm allowed to go to 5B, it's all booked but unless my FIFA membership comes through in time I'm not sure we'll get there. If we do make it I'll grab all the quirky RDS signals I can find. :D

Paul
Would be very interesting. I can send you a 256GB USB stick.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

ukdx

Unread post by ukdx »

Thanks for the offer Simon, I've been going to Cyprus for the last 10 years and TBH I've not really spotted any RDS PS that hasn't displayed correctly but this seems like a new challenge and I have new DX QTH which gives me seaward horizon coverage from TA round to SU. Last year I managed DTT from Egypt on UHF so if the tropo is playing ball there's lots of potential.

One of my subscribers is in Greece and gets quite a bit of North African FM via tropo I'll ask him how much he's had with similar unreadable PS.

The only thing I need to investigate this time round is how this country's new 'freedoms' may affect me taking in the usual collection of antennas and SDRs as I don't want to start the holiday with import duties, confiscations or lengthy delays at nothing to declare tables.

I'll probably take the RX888-MK2 so B2 should be OK as in previous years I've used an Airspy R2, just a pity none of the prototype downconverters are commercially available.

I'll get back to you closer to the date.

Paul