Extremely Low Audio Level with AirSpy HF+ Discovery

Fred Mc

Extremely Low Audio Level with AirSpy HF+ Discovery

Unread post by Fred Mc »

I have been happily using SDR Console with an AirSpy HF+ Discovery for a couple of months. While using it this morning, the audio suddenly dropped, and from settings, I can't imagine why? There is still noisy audio from tuned HF stations if I crank the volume to max. The Audio Spectrum display on the DSP panel shows nothing for most tuned signals. If I tune to a "really strong" signal in the local AM broadcast band, the Audio Spectrum does show signal and I can listen with a much lower volume level. To get back to as before, I should be able to listen to the hiss of the noise floor at a reasonable volume setting. I note that the FM settings do result in audible hiss, but all the other modes just silence. Very frustrating when I can see all the signals coming in on the Spectrum display. For reference, I can hear the audio as before when I use SDR# software (but I prefer to use Console!).

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Max

Re: Extremely Low Audio Level with AirSpy HF+ Discovery

Unread post by Max »

Hi Fred

Most obvious thing I can think of, given that you say spectrum is still normal (implies signal levels re unchanged) is that you inadvertently turned the AGC off in the DSP panel:
AGC.JPG
If so, you need to adjust the manual GAIN slider up to get audio level to required, or just turn AGC back on again!

If it's not that, implies something in the Windows audio settings for SDRC. With SDRC running, on the PC keyboard, hit the "Windows" key (lower left) to bring up Start Menu, the type "App Volume" (without the quotation marks) and hit return. Should bring up the App Volume mixer for Windows. Check the slider for SDRC is set to 100%. If SDRC is not running and outputting audio the slider won't be visible there, hence the need to be running.

Other than that not sure.

Max

Fred Mc

Unread post by Fred Mc »

Hi Max,

AGC was off. Thank you very much for a quick fix!!!

Fred

Max

Unread post by Max »

Fred Mc wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:30 am Hi Max,

AGC was off. Thank you very much for a quick fix!!!

Fred
No worries!

Max