Deleted several msi2500.sys files and screwed things up...

KA6MOK

Deleted several msi2500.sys files and screwed things up...

Unread post by KA6MOK »

Want to find out the best way to unscrew myself.

I saw the obscure "core isolation" virtualization, memory integrity security feature in Windows, thought I'd try it out. Got warnings of incompatible drivers, found several copies of msi2500.sys in several folders. Some were older, etc. So, for some reason I thought it was a good idea to get rid of a few, and did. I also uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of SDR softwares I use.

Well, now I am having problems with many of them, and am kicking myself. I would like to just have one copy, and the newest version, its probably not that simple, but don't know how to proceed.
A bit worried when doing the uninstall/reinstall of a few of these isn't just installing this where it needs to be.

PD3LK

Re: Deleted several msi2500.sys files and screwed things up...

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi, which Windows version are you using? and is it 32 or 64bit?

jdow

Re: Deleted several msi2500.sys files and screwed things up...

Unread post by jdow »

The msi2500.sys is a MIRICS driver. You may be able to get it from the Lime people. You MIGHT get it reinstalled if you reinstall the software program that installed it in the first place.

Never simply delete any .sys or .dll file unless you know precisely what it does and what you lose if you delete it. If you must "remove it" then rename it adding an X on the suffix. You can rename it back and recover.

One source on the web suggests the file is about 7 years old.

If a file with that name is already loaded into memory by an active program then all programs opening that file get that same DLL. If there are several mutually incompatible versions of that file present on your system you can only run ONE of the programs at a time; and even then you may experience problems. Welcome to DLL Hell. Speak to the suppliers for the DLL and the programs that use it about this. Generally you are stuck with the .sys suffix. That's a sort of super DLL with more restrictions on it. I note that SDRC may end up using the file; but, it requires something else to install it as a system file.

{^_^}