Distorted Audio

Max

Re: Distorted Audio

Unread post by Max »

Rick

No screenshot seen here? Forgot to attach perhaps?

Also a screenshot with the distorted audio when receiving BC-FM needed. And maybe also attach an audio recording of the distortion using audio recording tool built in to SDRC.

Max

RickMarBen

Unread post by RickMarBen »

Max, good afternoon or morning, thanks. Hey, I just only know a little bit and sometimes I do gigantic silly mistakes.

1) I tend to agree. HDSR works like a charm with the same dongle in all 4 machines with different settings, specially the one with VMWare that I hate with a passion....................that is why I am so confused. There must be something wrong. The RTL dongle I have is 2838UHIDIR model.

2) I might have not explained well, HACK RF 1 is not even recognized by this software but yes by HDSR. That is another mystery. So upon launching it and pointing to HAck RF basically comes back that cannot find it. The drivers are there......................HDSR picks it up straight away. Yes, I would expect reception only but cannot even get there as the dongle is not addressed.

I will investigate more during the weekend but at this stage I will use what works.

Thanks and regards

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

RickMarBen wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:27 pm OK, this is it with dongle working in 28260.
No image or anything other than the above. I may be able to help you with rtlsdr. But that's not gonna happen without more information. I do not see distorted audio here with rtlsdr dongles, or anything else that I have.

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

RickMarBen wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:29 am I will investigate more during the weekend but at this stage I will use what works.

Thanks and regards
Hi Rick

Understand your frustration but I do recommend persevering. I am sure we will be able to get you going but as Joanne says, we need the screenshot of the radio started and in the problematic condition (yes, I realise this can only be for the dongle at the moment). This is often enough for a diagnosis.

SDRC is very comprehensive and extremely user friendly once you get it going and configured to your liking and I do think you will find out how much it offers over the other software available. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye (full satellite tracking for example just to mention one).

Send screenshot with SDRC running and in the "fault" condition and we have a much better go at helping you out. Without it we are "flying blind".

Best

Max

RickMarBen

Unread post by RickMarBen »

Dear Jdow, let me put below your comments

For RTLSDR dongles the low frequency range of the tuner is not necessarily guaranteed. 29 MHz is a little iffy but "usually works", it may be overloaded by the very nearby 28.8 MHz oscillator in the dongle. You may find the direct sampling mode won't work well because that is very close to the dongle's crystal oscillator frequency of 28.8 MHz.

Without a picture showing dongle settings, including a picture showing the sample rate you have set up, you're not going to get more help than above because we lack information needed to provide it.

UNQUOTE

Without a picture: ok, I put already two pictures. But that is not the point. Let me explain. By the way I come from a semiconductor background long ago.........................
So if RTLSDR is not guaranteed 29 mhz............................... I tell you what I did yesterday

1) Tuned to 28.260.93 UBS with Yaesu FT 991A. The beacon CW (that is why .93 as it was in USB but the tone was there. I did not bother to change to CW) was received with S 5.5
2) Tuned with HDSR in same FX. Of course the front end semis and the rest cannot compete with FT 991A. I put the antenna to the RTLSDR and the signal was 1.3 not 5.5 but it proves that the front end Mosfets or whatever they use are receiving.
3) Close HDSR and kick this program, remember that they run on the same machine. It was deaf, would not receive the signal. So, how we explain this?

The audio distorted has now been fixed, I tuned to 101,7 BFM and is ok. Tested on this with both, HDSR and yours. So the problem remains with sensitivity but we cannot blame the front end semicondustors otherwise I would have no signal with HDSR, this later one cannot fabricate the microvolts received by the front end of the dongle, wouldn't you agree?

Maybe there are other settings I am missing? So, what type of screen capture or logs may be present to enable you guys to "see" something ?

In all honesty, I cannot understand how HSDR works so easily and I knew and still know nothing about its settings, except trial on error ?

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I'm done.
{^_^}