Performance issues (GUI)

Wadlbeiszer200

Performance issues (GUI)

Unread post by Wadlbeiszer200 »

Hey guys,

i tried sdr console for today for the first time, but i experience heavy performance issues of the GUI itself. The program itself does work and i can see/hear signals..but:
it feels like its running with 10FPS and when im trying to move the window or resize it takes seconds until it reacts.

My Setup:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080ti
SDR Console is installed under C:\Program Files (x86)
SDR HW: 2x RTL-SDR (usb sticks from noeleec on an active hub)

Already tried:
- restarting sdr console
- restarting computer
- reinstallation of sdr console (tried the last release and the beta, both same issue)
- reinstallation of all VC redistributables
- reinstallation of usb drivers for my sdr-sticks
- tried differend usb ports, with and without usb hub
- tried with and without cuda support
- tried with opencl and without it
- checked for gpu driver updates --> up to date

At the beginning the sdr console crashed while searching for the usb sticks, but i fied that with an update of the rtlsdr.dll and the libusb dll file.
But now i have the performance issue.
Other programs like sdr++ and sdr# are working (sdr# keeps crashing from time to time).
Games and other programs dont have any issues.

It feels a little bit like the VisualStudio GUI itself has an issue with my setup, is there some form of known bug or an option i need to change?

Hope you guys can help me cause the program itself looks promising..
best regards
Juergen

KA1GJU

Re: Performance issues (GUI)

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Attach screen shots if you are able to take them, so others may help you. There's LOTS of valuable info in the DSP window, and the ribbon bar on the bottom of screen... so DO NOT resize them or edit them.
https://www.sdr-radio.com/screenshot

Click on "Full Editor" button below center of text window, then...
Use the "Attachments" button below and to the left the text entry window to attach your image(s).

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Juergen,

This is a very powerful computer, it also sounds like a very poorly computer, possible some miss-configuration. The logfile would be interesting: https://www.sdr-radio.com/logfile .

Also, I assume you have installed the Geforce Experience drivers for the 1080ti?

If SDR# is also crashing I suspect maybe a disk issue, run a disk check?
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

G3TDJ

Unread post by G3TDJ »

> SDR Console is installed under C:\Program Files (x86)

Something odd about SDR Console installed to C:\Program Files (x86) unless this is a 32-bit Windows 10 install, but if so why have 32 GB of RAM

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Hmmm, just checked my 64bit machine...
Stored under Program Files, not Program FIles (x86).

Will 32bit run on a 64bit machine? Never tried that!

OTW... Good catch!
Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

Simon G4ELI

KA1GJU wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:46 pm Hmmm, just checked my 64bit machine...
Stored under Program Files, not Program FIles (x86).

Will 32bit run on a 64bit machine? Never tried that!

OTW... Good catch!
Kriss KA1GJU
Yes,

32-bits does run under 64-bits but I don't allow the 32-bit kit to be installed on 64-bits, no reason to do that.
www.sdr-radio.com

Wadlbeiszer200

Hello Guys,

thanks for your response!

- The Installation of a 64bit application in the x86 folder should not cause any harm for most applications because the app will still run and be recognized by windows as x64.. but to be safe here i reinstalled it on a different SSD under E:\program files). (i uninstalled, restarted the computer, removed the sdr console folder from the appdata roaming folder and restartet again, then i installed it to the other ssd)
So my x64 sdr console is installed on my x64 windows (because someone asked if its maybe an x86 system) on a differend SSD now. (but sure, the appdata/roaming folder is still on C:

Note: I found out that i need to copy the newest libusb-1.0.dll from sdr# to the sdr console folder (E:\Program Files\SDR-Radio.com (V3)) otherwise sdr console will:
a: not give the option "RTL USB" but only TCP and/or
b: sdr-console will crash as soon as i start the radio (if it sees the usb device)
If i use the newest libusb like mentioned it always shows the rtl-usb and also it is not crashing (but still has the performance issue)
Question: Should the libusb-file from the sdr console setup not be the correct one? i didnt find a note that i need to do that manually? maybe we have one piece of the puzzle of my issues here?

- Yes my GPU Drivers are up to date using gforce experience (as im gaming with my rig)
The same counts for chipset drivers, etc.

attached you can find the log and the screenshot.
Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding --> sdr console does work (if i replace the libusb) but the gui performance is unbelievable bad.
After i saved this post here ill do a wider check on all my ssd´s, the last test a year ago was fine but yeah, a year can be long. Ill edit this post or will post an answer as soon as i have the results.

Again, thanks alot for you trying to help me!
best regards
juergen
Attachments
Screenshot-2021-12-16-120934.jpeg
SDR Console tmp.txt
(27.35 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Simon G4ELI

Hi,

The libusb in the kit should be fine. If not then there are other problems, I assume you performed the Zadig 'thing'?

Crashing without having copied libusb is not good, this does indicate an OS issue with a dependent file. I would reinstall the C++ Runtimes, see the Downloads page for more info.
www.sdr-radio.com

Wadlbeiszer200

Hello,
sadly i was not able to edit my last post, as it got reviewed before it got posted which took some time i guess.

so:
did various types of hardware checks for ssd, ram, gpu and cpu and also some benchmarks including temperature-checks while running them.
I could not find any issue.
Got a windows update, but it also didnt fix it.

I think that you are right about the dependencies issue, but i already reinstalled .NET Framework and also C++ Runtimes (at least 5 times because i tried alot of stuff) and it did not fix the issue :(
Also i did the zadig thingy a few times and tried 3 different sdr sticks, but the lags in the GUI are even without starting a sdr stick.

The libusb issue makes me wonder what else is wrong.. so i begin to dig deeper and found following:
i had a few bluescreens (~1 in 1-2 weeks), they all had different error codes so i reinstalled windows completely (that is some time ago) but it did not fixed it. As it was not sooo often i didnt really care about it, also because i was not able to find the reason. Now as we are talking about the libusb and sdr console issue, i got to remember this stuff and maybe it has the same root cause.
Didnt think about that in the beginning. I mean i can run games and alot of different very demanding stuff but as i told you, sdr# and sdr console are having issues with the libusb and or performance.

i think i will head to a IT-forum to discuss the rest there and "pause" this thread here for the moment, after i get the bluescreens fixed i will head back to check on sdr console. maybe it is fixed then. sad thing is, im an it-technician myself and was never able to fix this issue, so i kinda "forgot" about it. (or wanted to forget about it :lol: )

ill let you know if i get new infos :oops:

Simon G4ELI

Maybe try a different USB card?
www.sdr-radio.com