Audio Breakup - SDRC Windows 11 ARM on Mac M1

jfurness

Audio Breakup - SDRC Windows 11 ARM on Mac M1

Unread post by jfurness »

Hi,

I'm guessing my problem may be quite niche but it's still very furstrating... to cut a long story short I'm running SDRC 3.1 build 2496 under a Windows 11 ARM Insider Preview (Activated) virtual machine using the latest version of Parallels on my Mac Mini M1.

The software loads quickly and perfectly and I've set up definitions for both my own local SDRC server (running an RX-888 and Airspy HF+) and a few other servers out there on the internet.

CPU usage is low and stable for both local and internet connections and it would appear that audio buffering isn't a problem, however there is unfortunately a constant "crackling"/breakup of audio which is just that little bit too intrusive for me to be able to use the software in a way that I've been enjoying for some time now on other hardware/operating systems. This also happens on IQ file playback and with all modes and bandwidths.

Ironically, and this may give some clues, if I RDP to the VM and use remote audio there is no audio breakup at all.

I understand that this may not be the most supported platform in use today (!) but if anyone has any suggestions or if Simon is prepared to consider investigating the issue then I would really appreciate it.

Just for info SDR# has no audio problems on the same setup.

Below is a link to a short video which shows exactly what is happening. Apologies if the link doesn't work... first time posting a video on this particular forum!

Thanks
James

Simon G4ELI

Re: Audio Breakup - SDRC Windows 11 ARM on Mac M1

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

James,

1) I don't support virtual machines - if it works then it works but I don't have a Mac and have no plans to every buy one.
2) You can increase the buffering
Audio Buffering Settings
Audio Buffering Settings
3) Windows hardware is not expensive!
4) A screenshot is always good.
5) May well be an audio driver problem.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jfurness

Unread post by jfurness »

Hi Simon,

Appreciate you getting back to me... I'm running SDRC server on some (not too great) Windows hardware at the moment and I understand your reticence at purchasing a Mac.... I was pulled in many years ago and have never been able to get out!

I'll try with the buffer settings again....

Hopefully the issue will "go away" once Windows ARM support improves in general... if it's a driver issue then they will doubtless be updated anyway and perhaps one day it will disappear by magic.

Also, if you are planning to port SDRC to ARM-native at any time that might do the trick.

All of this aside.... SDRC is a fantastic piece of software and I know I'm amongst many who appreciate your tireless dedication to keeping the updates coming.

I think it's about time I got round to that giving you that donation....

James

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Hi,

I'll never port to ARM on M1 - no need, the emulator is very good. As others run SDR Console & other SDR software without problem on the M1 with Virtual Windows then it's got to be something specific to your environment.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!