SDR Console, RTL-SDR, and HF Mode

PaVink

SDR Console, RTL-SDR, and HF Mode

Unread post by PaVink »

I've been trying to understand how to set up SDR Console with my RTL-SDR dongle. Like any man, I hate asking for directions - and so I tried Google to find a definitive answer. Problem is that I find several articles on this topic, but most seem dated and are referring to old versions of the hard- and/or software.

So, the simple question is ... Using SDR Console 3.1 (Jan 26th version) with a Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR (from RTL-SDR Blog, and connected to a Wideband 50 MHz-4GHz LNA also from them), what should I (not) do to receive frequencies below 28.8MHz?

First, I understand that the options are now in SDR Console natively - and I don't need to download any tweaks (such as those described in <https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-rtl-sdr-dri ... r-console/>) - correct?

If I do select HF Mode from the GUI in SDR Console, should I select Quadrature or In-Phase? I don't understand the (practical) difference and I cannot comprehend the theoretical explanations ...

Do I need to switch HF Mode / Direct Sampling 'On' and 'Off' all the time - or is SDR Console smart enough to ignore the setting when tuning to higher frequencies than 28.8?

(Lastly, I do realize I need a suitable antenna, which might be the real reason all my trial-and-error efforts never had any success ...)

Many thanks,
PaVink