Running Multiple SDR's on 1 Computer

Scanner8143

Running Multiple SDR's on 1 Computer

Unread post by Scanner8143 »

Can one use Multiple SDR's with Multiple instances of SDR Console on one computer? If it can be done How?

Scott

VK5HI

Re: Running Multiple SDR's on 1 Computer

Unread post by VK5HI »

Scott,
Yes. Can be done. Writing these instructions from memory.
Assuming the SDR's are supported by SDR Console and you have one them plugged into an appropriate USB port.
Start SDR Console and from the Ribbon Bar select Home, Select Radio.
From the Select Radio dialog click on Definitions and Search for your additional SDR and ADD it to the Definitions list.
Click on the SDR that you have added and set the Soundcard and Bandwidth if required for that SDR, then click Start.
All being well a new Instance of SDR Console will be started.
Best if you have a second screen.
73 Colin VK5HI.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Your aggregate USB transfer times for all the SDRs must be below 1 second per second. I phrase it this way because a USB 2 device transferring data at some data rate that uses 40% of a USB 2 bus will still use the same 40% on a USB 3 bus because all the clocks slow down when switching to transfer the USB 2 data. Separate controllers more or less eliminate that issue. I've had an RX888 MKII and an RX888 both operating at their respective bandwidths on separate USB 3.0 controllers even though the MKII eats a very large portion of a USB 3 controller's available time.

{^_^}

Scanner8143

I figured out how to do 2 SDR's and 2 Instances of SDR Console, but now I have to figure out how to autostart the 2nd instance of SDR Console, I have the first one in the startup but I need the 2nd to auto start so when I have to reboot the computer remotely both will come back up.

Scott

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Hint: You can put bat files in startup.
Hint: In bat files you can run "C:\Program Files\SDR-Radio.com (V3)\SDR Console.exe" "parameters".
Hint: You can also put in delays using the timeout command to delay say 10 seconds: timeout /t 10

The SDR Console command parameters would be the same as you put into the shortcut icon. Oops - er ah um, calling Simon, we have a problem!

It is not difficult to add command line options. "/i identity" and "/a" autorun might be suggested. You MIGHT even allow a parameter on "/a" which is the number of seconds the program waits in "InitInstance" before proceeding onwards.

{^_-}

Scanner8143

jdow wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:05 am Hint: You can put bat files in startup.
Hint: In bat files you can run "C:\Program Files\SDR-Radio.com (V3)\SDR Console.exe" "parameters".
Hint: You can also put in delays using the timeout command to delay say 10 seconds: timeout /t 10

The SDR Console command parameters would be the same as you put into the shortcut icon. Oops - er ah um, calling Simon, we have a problem!

It is not difficult to add command line options. "/i identity" and "/a" autorun might be suggested. You MIGHT even allow a parameter on "/a" which is the number of seconds the program waits in "InitInstance" before proceeding onwards.

{^_-}
I haven't written a Batch file probably in 20+ years, I will have to look up the command line parameters and see what I can do, at 62 I hope I can get it done. Thank You.

Scott

Scanner8143

jdow wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:05 am Hint: You can put bat files in startup.

{^_-}
I can't see to find any documentation with the command line parameters.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I just raised that issue over in the requests forum. It seems Simon may have to add command line parameters or document what exists if anything. (Or do nothing - it is his project not ours. It's about gift horses and looking in their mouths.)
{o.o}

Scanner8143

jdow wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:18 am I just raised that issue over in the requests forum. It seems Simon may have to add command line parameters or document what exists if anything. (Or do nothing - it is his project not ours. It's about gift horses and looking in their mouths.)
{o.o}
So at this point, there are no commandline parameters? Well atleast one instance of SDR Console will start after a reboot for now.

Scott