Audio clipping problem

SpE

Audio clipping problem

Unread post by SpE »

I am experiencing what sounds like low frequency audio clipping with crackling and popping in the audio.

It's evident when listening to either HF or the medium wave and FM broadcast band and in most if not all modes and bandwidths.

I have tried playing with the equaliser and reducing low frequencies, reducing the audio level, reducing RF gain etc but I can't eliminate it.

I have recently changed from a HP Pavillion which I've been using for 2 years without any issues, over to an Acer Swift 5. It is running Windows 11. I am running the latest beta version of SDR Console. I'm also using SDRuno but haven't had the problem with this.

I have uploaded a 30 second video done with my phone to demonstrate the problem. When I tried using the SDR Console video recorder, I was surprised to find the recorded video had perfect audio upon playback.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Dave
Attachments
VID_20220324_223526.mp4
(50.63 MiB) Downloaded 53 times

jdow

Re: Audio clipping problem

Unread post by jdow »

The video is useless. You cut important information off the screen. Use SDRC's built in recording tool. If that does not show the ticking then the issue very likely is within the computer's sound system. Gain is not going to fix it. Turn off all special effects on your sound card.

{^_^}

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Hi,

As jdow wrote, mobile phone videos are useless I'm afraid. Let's start with a screenshot, also look at the equaliser (see attachment).
Attachments
Screenshot-2022-03-24-123430.jpeg
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

SpE

Unread post by SpE »

Here is a screenshot. I did try adjusting various settings in the equaliser. I have turned off audio enhancements. No change.
However when opening the sound settings I have discovered that when the Playback tab is selected, the clicking is evident. When the Recording tab is selected, it stops. Also when having the internet browser open in front of SDR Console causes it to reduce significantly, minimizing the browser so that SDR Console is on top brings the noise back.

Update 1: I've also found that disabling the Microphone Array has stopped it. However I need a microphone so I can't keep it disabled. I will keep working on it.

Update 2: The microphone was set to 16 bit 48 kHz, the speakers set to 16 bit 44.1 kHz. I have set both to 48 kHz and this has appeared to have solved the issue.
Attachments
Screenshot (52).png
Screenshot (51).png
Screenshot (50).png

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

Ah - bad resampling in the driver I expect. Thanks for letting me know it's fixed.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

That was going to be my comment, too.
{^_^}