W3WTW

Must restart radio after every Console start-up and other stuff

Unread post by W3WTW »

Set-up:
Icom 7300
PTRX7300 panadapter
SDRPlay RSP1A
SDR Consle V3.2 build 2676

Every time I start SDR Console, I have no signals on the waterfall. Took me days to figure out if I simply STOP the radio then START the radio, all signals appear. I would think that simply starting Console would in fact start the radio, but something isn't quite right.

Also, my s-meter on any particular signal is at least 6db higher coming out of the panadapter to Console. And, listening to WWV on 10mhz, my rig shows nothing on the s-meter, while Console shows S9 (Console rf gain is set to 0).

And, With AGC Gain off, s-meter shows S3 noise level (Pic1). If I turn AGC Gain on, the noise floor goes from S3 to S5 (Pic2). If I turn AGC Gain off, it does not return to S3 (Pic3). I have to Stop/Start the radio for it to return to normal.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Attachments
4_Radio Restarted.jpeg
3_AGC Off after being On.jpeg
2_AGC On.jpeg
1_AGC Off.jpeg

KA1GJU

Re: Must restart radio after every Console start-up and other stuff

Unread post by KA1GJU »

The RF Gain on (my) RSP1A is NOT linear when used "normally" with antenna attached, not via the IF section of a rig. The sweet spot (for me) is somewhere around 5-7, AGC Manual (due to AGC pumping from strong signals within the operating BW, -35 IF Gain and Visual Gain 0.

Here's some screen shots as I scroll through various RF Gain settings of 0, 5, and 7 and you will see the noise floor actually drop with RF gain increased. :shock:

You can pull out your hair trying to get the S-meter to read the same as other equipment using numerous variable settings (RF Gain, IF Gain, and yes the Visual Gain). So using those three settings, one can derive the same end result (S-meter matching a 'real' rig) in a nearly infinite way. :roll:

I find the RSP1A as the LAST SDR on my list of favorites due to the fact of too many variables, and also it's easily overwhelmed with AM BC stations. The server that my last remaining RSP1A is on has to have an AM BC filter for that reason, thus killing DC-1800kHz reception on the other three SDR's on the same server. (KA1GJU Super Station #2) :(

My other SDR's in my flock of 13 are SDR-iq's and various Airspy products, primarily the Discovery unit. Less adjustments, no overloading, and much better product IMHO. The only SDR I hat more than the RSP1A is the RTL Dongles, but I digress.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Attachments
Screenshot-2022-08-21-220119.jpeg
Screenshot-2022-08-21-220153.jpeg
Screenshot-2022-08-21-220205.jpeg
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)