Help please to receive HF

Cabot1

Help please to receive HF

Unread post by Cabot1 »

Hi,
Not sure if it is the rigth forum. If not sorry.
Any one his using SdrConsole with Yaesu FTDX10 ?.
I can receave a local Fm broadcast staions but no HF ones.
May you help me ?.
Tnx & Merry Christmas
J. Cabot C31lk

KA1GJU

Re: Help please to receive HF

Unread post by KA1GJU »

SDR Console needs an SDR to connect to, Simon has not written code (nor will he I presume) to connect directly to a Yaesu.
The SDR typically connects to the IF port on a HF rig, but restricts you as to operating bandwidth on the SDR.
Other method is to split the incoming RF from the antenna (lossy) or come up with a way to tap the radio's RF chain w/out loading it down like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIr3ILvLFdM&t=377s
This method allows full operating bandwidth of the attached SDR to be used and displayed.

The list of SDRC compatible radios is here:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/radios

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

Cabot1

Unread post by Cabot1 »

I´m using the RTL.SDR V.3
Will try again.
Many tnx Kriss
Jaume C31LK

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

RTLSDR dongle on HF is a clever trick that just barely works. It's not worth the effort. It requires a serious antenna and has very poor dynamic range. Technically I consider HF on an RTLSDR as a scam even though it can be coerced into working poorly.

{^_^}

Max

Unread post by Max »

Cabot1 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:18 am Hi,
Not sure if it is the rigth forum. If not sorry.
Any one his using SdrConsole with Yaesu FTDX10 ?.
I can receave a local Fm broadcast staions but no HF ones.
May you help me ?.
Tnx & Merry Christmas
J. Cabot C31lk
Firstly, did you check out all the instructions here? With the RTL-SDR you really need to be going the IF route (IF from FTDX10 assuming available?)

https://www.sdr-radio.com/external-radio

Max

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

If he really wants to try it looking at all the documentation at the same place he picked up SDR-Radio v3, presuming he went to the author's site (address above less "forum." and the ":4499". If he looks at the dongles options property page the settings are all there. But, at best it's a toy not something nicely usable.

{o.o}

Cabot1

Unread post by Cabot1 »

Sorry,
My question was wrongly formulated.
I have the SDR Dongle : (DVB-T+DAB+FM+SDR RTL2832U R820T2 TCXO+BIAS T+HF V. 3) and my intention is to receive HF from other qth with better reception and sending back to me by internet.
I can receive the FM band correctly but not the HF
Thanks for the possible configuration help.
73´s

Max

Unread post by Max »

Cabot1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:17 am Sorry,
My question was wrongly formulated.
I have the SDR Dongle : (DVB-T+DAB+FM+SDR RTL2832U R820T2 TCXO+BIAS T+HF V. 3) and my intention is to receive HF from other qth with better reception and sending back to me by internet.
I can receive the FM band correctly but not the HF
Thanks for the possible configuration help.
73´s
So you want to locate RTL-SDR V3 remotely to receive HF? Not sure where the FT-DX10 is in the scheme?

For RTL-SDR setup on HF see here:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/rtl-dongles

Just to note, RTL-SDR V3 does not need the hardware mode described. It's already done. See the instructions for selecting HF in the software (SDR Console) in the link above. As Joanne says, at HF, the RTL-SDR is really just to play with, not a serious HF receiver. For this far better to get hold of the Airspy HF+ (for example). Probably the best cost/performance option for relatively low cost. Maybe also SDR Play RSPdx (although I'm not personally a fan of SDR Play unit for serious HF work although to be fair, I've only used the RSP2 which was a big disappointment at HF. I've read that RSPdx is somewhat improved). However, bear in mind bandwidth restriction of 768kHz with the HF+. RSPdx is wider (if it's actually properly usable at wider bandwidths on HF).

For remote use you need to install SDRC Server on the PC at the other end:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/server

Also see Kriss's earlier response regarding the remote operation. Have we fully understood what you actually want to do? I admit I'm still not fully clear on what exactly you wish to achieve?

Good luck

Max

Cabot1

Unread post by Cabot1 »

Hello, thank you all for the answers.
Yeah, Max, what I want is to use the receiver at a better reception place and access it from my house.
I have clear that I need to configure the server, but first I need to configure the dongle and receive it in hf and it is my problem now.
J.Cabot

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

J. Cabot,

Do yourself a HUGE favor, get a real HF SDR if the HF spectrum is your primary listening choice. I use MANY Airspy HF Discovery's in my fleet of SDR servers. The SDRPlay (RSP1A specifically) is easily overwhelmed with AM broadcast signals to the point I had to install an AM BC filter on that server hosting it. Plus there are just too many variables to tweak such as RF Gain of 10 different settings, IF Gain with 16 different settings, and lastly Visual Gain with 15 different settings.
The Airspy Discovery has only two that have any noticeable effect, PreAmp ON/OFF, and Visual Gain with 15 settings. The AGC is set to high or low and never touched again, and the Attenuator is ONLY active with the AGC off.

If you connect to my Super Station #2, you can operate the Airspy Discovery and the SDRPlay RSP1A side by side and see how complicated operating the SDRPlay is versus the Discovery.
As an example, to get similar images on the two SDR's, it took MANY adjustments on the RSP1A to match the image of the Airspy. Yes, not really a scientific comparison (don't tell JDow!), but it gives you an idea how much fiddling one has to do. The SDRPlay is on the left and since there are so many radio adjustments, the radio adjustments covers over the S-meter. But after +10 minutes, I was able to get similar views of the 17m band this AM.

JMHO (Just My Humble Opinions)
YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Attachments
RSP1AvsDiscovery.png
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)