always the same frequency span in sdr console

pirpy

Re: always the same frequency span in sdr console

Unread post by pirpy »

I just find out that sometimes the frequency does change If I use scroll on mouse, but only sometimes and I newer know when and on wich frequency is stuck next.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I presume you used the save button. Did you close SDRC, unplug then reinsert the dongle, and redo the definition?

As for where the mouse is and what scrolls, you will have to adapt to the program. In snarky terms I refer to this as the DWIM phenomenon. How do you, as a programmer, guess what the user intends? All you can do is be consistent. Where you clicked last can, due to Windows itself, make a big difference. And remember that the front end tuning behaves differently from an old vacuum tube radio with general coverage tuning and fine tuning. In SDRC when you change the front end frequency the rest of the radio remains tuned to the frequency it was last tuned to. The scales below the main spectrum and waterfall can be thought of as tuning the front end to a new center frequency. The keyboard tuning also does this. The individual receiver windows when active should give you a notion which frequency will be changed. Also explore clicking the mouse on a frequency. The active receiver is tuned to that indicated frequency. You'll likely have to do some fine tuning for it.

Do explore the "Receive" ribbon. You can select. mute/unmute, add, and remove receivers. The receivers share the front end output. It's like a conventional radio with multiple IF strips and demodulators that can be tuned within the front end's bandwidth.

{^_^}

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

I tried new disk and fresh install of win 11 but the problem persist.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

It's doing what you told it to do. The demodulator bandwidth does not change. You did not tell it to change the center frequency. And you did not tell it to change the zoom. You certainly did not tell it to change its bandwidth. (That is done with the zoom feature.) All you did is tune one receiver.

I suspect you are looking for a behavior I find nonsensical, recenter the front end tuning when you tune a receiver. Go to the Tools ribbon. Select "Options". Select the "Tuning" tree list item. On the "Receiver tuning options" page at the top select the "Adjust display frequency to make visible." This becomes problematic if you have multiple receivers active as it may put some of them outside the front end's bandwidth range. Once I started using multiple receivers for simultaneously monitoring several frequencies that became a killer proposition.

If you don't want to change that option then to change the center frequency but not the "bandwidth" you select it several ways with the easy one being grab the highlighted span on the frequency bar under the waterfall and move it from side to side.

{^_^}

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

tunning.JPG
tried that

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I see something possibly behaving properly as expected. But, I cannot tell what the heck you are doing due to the camera's waving around inducing vertigo. Any text is utterly unreadable even when paused. I can't tell how far you are moving the center frequency. So I'm done here.

{+_+}

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

As I understand if you change frequency on the left upper side from 107 to 100 MHz the sdr console should show 100 MHz but it does not , it continues to show 107 Mhz until I stop and start the radio.
This is not normal.
or is it?
tell me exactly what should I do to convince you that there is something wrong in my instalation.

pirpy

Unread post by pirpy »

On wife's laptop with intel processor, work fine

you can se there is a station on 105 MHz and one on 107 MHz
but look at my computer, the same thing, switching from 107 and 105 MHz

Is it possible a ryzen 7 compatibility problem ??

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

I'll come back to this when you post legible videos full size that show the full console screen. It looks like you have distinctly different settings in the two videos. Make the test conditions the same between the two. Perform the same steps on each. It might be a Ryzen problem; but, ... shrug....

If you insist on videos try using the built in video tools.

{o.o}

dk7jl

Unread post by dk7jl »

Hello,

I am facing the same problem with tuning but somehow not tuning. It's not easy to describe in words, but your video says it all.

To make it short: It is a problem with AMD Chipsets and it has been a problem for years now.

You might wanna have a look at these reddit posts. You are not alone: Post 1 Post 2

Solution No 1: Find a USB-Port on your PC, which is not driven from your mainbord chipset but from your CPU

I had a look in my mainboard specs and there i could find which USB-ports are driven by chipset and which are driven by CPU.
rtlissue_mb_specs.png
I plugged the RTL-SDR device into one of the two USB2.0 ports on the backpanel: Worked!
I plugged it into one of the two USB3.2 ports driven by the CPU: Worked!
Using one of the 4 USB3.2 ports driven by the Chipset: Failure
I use any of the connectors on the front panel (each of them is connected to an internal header which is driven by the Chipset): Failure

So if you are lucky like I am and have tons of USB ports, then there is a chance some of them are driven by the CPU. Look into the Mainboard manual or specs.

Solution No 2: Get a PCIe expansion card with USB-ports

You can get some for apprx. 15€

For the record, my pc specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7900x, Mainboard: Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER (X670E chipset)

By the way. This is not a SDR console problem. It is happening in other software too.

Let me know if i could help you.