QRPLabs QDX and SDRConsole issues?

jdow

Re: QRPLabs QDX and SDRConsole issues?

Unread post by jdow »

OK, I am thinking about this as I am typing. It helps me organize my thinking.

As I understand it you are using QDX to sample the spectrum around 10 MHz and are feeding the I/Q samples into SDRC.

The first two images makes sense if QDX tuned up but SDRC did not know the front end tuning had changed. So QDX is now at 10.01 MHz (yes, I tend to be anal about the capitalization {^_-}) That means the center frequency of the spectrum is really 10.01 MHz not 10.00 MHz, which it thinks is still the case. So you are not communicating the right thing to SDRC.

This page might be interesting and hide the culprit.

https://lirp.cdn-website.com/46d0be53/d ... -1920w.png

Selecting and setting the "IF output:" to 0.000.000 might. You are running a different sort of configuration than usual. If not on an even wilder shot try the other radio button setting.

The other issue may solve itself if you can convince SDRC about the tuning options. Technically you are a zero IF receiver. So that first suggestion above should settle things for you. Do be aware that NORMALLY you would tun USB to the suppressed carrier frequency. So to have the FT9 carrier at an audio frequency of 1 kHz you would tune to 14.073 MHz.

{^_^}

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

You may try making the IF output 2500 in the panel shown by Joanne.
I suspect that will not immediately solve the problem but I found it worked for me and is retained in my final setup. This seems a very strange setting, why does it work?

NOTE:- First I had reverted to firmware 1.04.005. It now tunes properly in HDSDR.
I found the Omnirig settings, it shows no tuning problems with Console.
So far I have not managed to stop the tuning self-centering when clicking on a signal. I remember this being mentioned in the past, am I missing the setting?
In the process I updated to v3.2 2731 and my Elad now sef-centres when it did not before.

Seems to me somewhere in the firmware updates the tuning in IQ mode got corrupted. See what you think.

73 Alan

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Inverting the I/Q order will swap the spectrum around the middle point. Maybe that is why you had to go to 2500 Hz perhaps with a 2500 Hz filter.
{^_^}

G4ZFQ

Unread post by G4ZFQ »

I have done further checks and here are my conclusions.

I was mistaken, I have not found any tuning faults with the QDX firmware.

The QDX has no definition in the Console but a work-round enables it to be used but with certain limits.

Select Softrock XTALL, frequency is not relevant.
In External Radio set Omnirig for TS480 to suit QDX.
Set this way there is a 2.5KHz tuning offset. Set IF output to 2500.

Then the QDX may be tuned by the keyboard, clicking on a signal or dragging the tuning bar. In all cases the signal received is centred.
While tuning is not ideal all other aspects of Console seem unaffected although I have not tested very many of them.

73 Alan