3.3 Crash (How Embarrassing for me see last post)

lappydesktop

3.3 Crash (How Embarrassing for me see last post)

Unread post by lappydesktop »

Anyone else?

Only on the 2Mhz bandwidth setting and not on any of the other bandwidths , win10 64 , symptoms are all is going well then all of a sudden whether just listening (no interaction with the gui) or actually interacting like zooming or tuning up or down in the same band the computer sends out a brrrz mmzzz sound and immediately restarts , no logs recorded to look up .

Its random and mostly does not do it at all for days (iv'e had about 5 to 7 so far) and like mentioned ONLY on 2Mhz bandwidth , the easy fix so far is just don't use 2Mhz :idea:
Last edited by lappydesktop on Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KA1GJU

Re: 3.3 Crash

Unread post by KA1GJU »

For starters, here's some questions:

SDR mfg and model is???
USB buss voltage dropping to low?
Using an external, powered USB hub?
Computer cooling issues?

73 Kriss KA1GJU
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

lappydesktop wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:03 am Anyone else?

Only on the 2Mhz bandwidth setting and not on any of the other bandwidths , win10 64 , symptoms are all is going well then all of a sudden whether just listening (no interaction with the gui) or actually interacting like zooming or tuning up or down in the same band the computer sends out a brrrz mmzzz sound and immediately restarts , no logs recorded to look up .

Its random and mostly does not do it at all for days (iv'e had about 5 to 7 so far) and like mentioned ONLY on 2Mhz bandwidth , the easy fix so far is just don't use 2Mhz :idea:
If the PC is crashing then there should be something in the event log. Probably heat-related, make sure all the filters are clean.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

lappydesktop

KA1GJU wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:55 am For starters, here's some questions:

SDR mfg and model is???
USB buss voltage dropping to low?
Using an external, powered USB hub?
Computer cooling issues?

73 Kriss KA1GJU
RSPdx and non of the rest , 32Gb ram Ryzen 7 all newly built cpu process 0.4% , happens only on 2Mhz bandwidth the program ram usage says around 900Mb , for instance 10Mhz bandwidth it says 2.4Gb .

lappydesktop

Simon G4ELI wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:18 pm
lappydesktop wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:03 am Anyone else?

If the PC is crashing then there should be something in the event log. Probably heat-related, make sure all the filters are clean.
Hi , the only thing that was in the event viewer is something like "the computer suddenly shutdown or restarted or lost power" , nothing else with more information i seem to recall , i cleared it all the the other day so i'll wait for another one and take a better look .

Not heat related , water cooled temps never go past 48c on intensive games on a cool day and 55c on a 37c ambient day so far , GPU around 60C the same , with SDRConsole the computer is barely working even with heaps of others open as well , seeing that that brzz and mmrzz noise happens at the same time it might be a audio driver issue? but it's strange it only happens on 2Mhz BW .

Attached is a nifty event clear batch file talking about the event viewer , run as admin and it clears the lot fast and easy , don't use it if one wants to keep all the events to read , i use it around every 3 months or so so that i don't have to read it all or go through them all , thanks

ps , great programs you have been coming up with :D , i'm still using HRD 5.24 for Digital Master and SatTrack and now your WorldMap , SDRConsole is far more user intuitive (simple) to use also imo , thanks a lot there fella , cheers Paul
Event Clear full.7z
Attached
(440 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

It might help to take a screen shot and attach the image here making sure it is readable. There may be some other setting that messes up at 2 MHz. (I am thinking in terms of setting bandwidth to 2 MHz with the front end set to 500 kHz, for example. Simon seems to have that handled but you might have found a small hole.)

You mentioned the Ryzen 7. That is new enough there might be an issue with special instruction sets. I am not sure if Simon uses them, though. Linus Sebastian mentioned in passing that some configurations with AMD CPUs may be a little sketchy. (That said, he also mentions his home machine is all AMD at the moment.) Are you overclocking by any chance? And how is your memory cooled? I am idly thinking of a setup a little like you describe. It's enough I could still run my video software on it.

{^_^}

lappydesktop

jdow wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:05 am It might help to take a screen shot and attach the image here making sure it is readable. There may be some other setting that messes up at 2 MHz. (I am thinking in terms of setting bandwidth to 2 MHz with the front end set to 500 kHz, for example. Simon seems to have that handled but you might have found a small hole.)

You mentioned the Ryzen 7. That is new enough there might be an issue with special instruction sets. I am not sure if Simon uses them, though. Linus Sebastian mentioned in passing that some configurations with AMD CPUs may be a little sketchy. (That said, he also mentions his home machine is all AMD at the moment.) Are you overclocking by any chance? And how is your memory cooled? I am idly thinking of a setup a little like you describe. It's enough I could still run my video software on it.

{^_^}
Hi thanks for the input its much appreciated

1st we'll get the computer talk out of the way :mrgreen: , i have been AMD most of my computer life with a few Intel's chucked in over the years and this is my biased account , even the Laptop is AMD .

You will not be disappointed if you go Ryzen + a good motherboard and GPU but choose whatever you like , this all AMD thing absolutely smokes , its the 1st computer i have had (but not my 1st built-up one) that i can play a very graphics intensive game turned up to full where the GPU does most of the work and the CPU just loafs along at 40-50% and that's with say the web browser and other stuff open on the external monitor at the same time .

No need to overclock btw , Ryzen Master software also balances out all the cores so they do share properly , the memory has heatsinks on them , at 1st i used all the software to check everything like temps/process's/usage and the likes all open on the other screen and several types and once i got the feel of what was going on and very satisfied after a month or so i hardly even open them up now .

Back to SDR , well today i did look around in the software to see what i could find related to 2Mhz only issues and did come up with the setting for "Buffering" was turned on to X2 and not the default so i set it back to default (i must have set that on the 1st day for some reason? and forgot about it) , so that's all i could find at the moment , ATM I'm using 3Mhz BW and the memory size is 1.2Gb with CPU waving between .4 and 1.2% .

I can't do a screenshot when it happens as it's an immediate close as i mentioned , just that noise then all gone and restart , but so far so good and no great drama , if only there was a "Make Coffee" button in the software , cheers

RadioSDR1

Unread post by RadioSDR1 »

@Lappydesktop. Just an idea if you get desperate for a solution. I think there is a way to configure Windows to create a "dump file" when the machine crashes. It may already do that now (to some extent) or you may need to activate this feature and if already activated you may need to configure how much information is collected during a crash. Then I think you may have to download some kind of utility from Microsoft in order to read the dump file. If anybody knows what I am talking about and can provide more details on how to do all this, have at it because I don't remember. I'd have to do a lot Googling myself if I ever wanted to do this and in the past it has been ultra seldom.

Interpreting the data in the dump file is difficult for ordinary people with casual computer experience but there may something that sticks out which might provide a clue. If Simon is able and willing to read a file like that, he might be able to quickly zero in.

Otherwise it sounds like to me that the 2 MHz bandwidth mechanism in SDRC is depending on some obscure function, be it hardware or software, that is broken on your computer. The million dollar question is what function so you know what to fix.

Barry WB2ZXJ

Unread post by Barry WB2ZXJ »

Hi RadioSDR1,

One of the tools is here:

https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Barry
WB2ZXJ

lappydesktop

RadioSDR1 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:47 pm @Lappydesktop. Just an idea if you get desperate for a solution. I think there is a way to configure Windows to create a "dump file" when the machine crashes. It may already do that now (to some extent) or you may need to activate this feature and if already activated you may need to configure how much information is collected during a crash. Then I think you may have to download some kind of utility from Microsoft in order to read the dump file. If anybody knows what I am talking about and can provide more details on how to do all this, have at it because I don't remember. I'd have to do a lot Googling myself if I ever wanted to do this and in the past it has been ultra seldom.

Interpreting the data in the dump file is difficult for ordinary people with casual computer experience but there may something that sticks out which might provide a clue. If Simon is able and willing to read a file like that, he might be able to quickly zero in.

Otherwise it sounds like to me that the 2 MHz bandwidth mechanism in SDRC is depending on some obscure function, be it hardware or software, that is broken on your computer. The million dollar question is what function so you know what to fix.
Hi , tnx for the advice , and yes i'm aware of that but i have the crash dumps turned off as over the years i have never really used them (maybe once or twice) also turning them off was a harden up windows scenario to stop it talking to Home even though one can stop it sending them and one can keep the dumps , well you know trust Microsoft :roll: .

If this small issue was a permanent thing using the dumps would be a necessity imo but as i mentioned it's been just a few times so far and yet to go back to 2Mhz BW since i have reset Buffering back to the default , thanks though and cheers .