ELad FDM Duo - Tuning from DX Commander one way?

AlElad1

ELad FDM Duo - Tuning from DX Commander one way?

Unread post by AlElad1 »

First post here, new user of SDR C so I hope that someone has an idea of how to resolve a tuning problem.

Elad FDM Duo as the main receiver (not Remote rcvr) on Com3. Works great with SDR Console but I have a query when using Dx Commander. I can tune the receive frequency accurately from the program and the displayed frequency is the same on the SDR C and the program display. If I click on another frequency in the Waterfall then DX commander appears to only tune to the nearest 50Khz. Is this because SDR C is only one way transmission of frequency information or is there some setting I have missed? I am using VSPE and com ports 7 + 8 set up as a port 7 connector and 7 > 8 Splitter.

I have also tried Log4OM but can't get it to communicate with SDR C - probably a setting is wrong somehere.

I'm really loving the UI and other features of SDR C compared to SW2 so hopefully I can find a solution.

TIA
Alan.

Max

Re: ELad FDM Duo - Tuning from DX Commander one way?

Unread post by Max »

AlElad1 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:29 am First post here, new user of SDR C so I hope that someone has an idea of how to resolve a tuning problem.

I am using VSPE and com ports 7 + 8 set up as a port 7 connector and 7 > 8 Splitter.

I have also tried Log4OM but can't get it to communicate with SDR C - probably a setting is wrong somehere.

TIA
Alan.
Alan, firstly to mention I use SDRC (Hermes Lite 2 SDR) with many programs including WSJT-X, VARA, Log4OM, N1MM+ and they all function flawlessly with SDRC so you can get this sorted I am sure.

Not quite sure about your ref to 7 > 8 splitter? I have a feeling you may be over complicating things? With SDRC and any external program you need one com pair per individual program. So for me, I create COM pairs in VSP Manager, say ports 11/12. I always make the odd ports connect to SDRC and the even ports to the application, so in SDRC options, I go to the com ports setup in options, and "tick" all the odd ports to enable them for SDRC, then I select the even port of the pair inside the individual application. Then it always seems to work.

If you need Omnirig anywhere then only use the official version 1.2 (not 2.0 or any other variations - they don't work with SDRC), settings as per the links I reference below (TS-2000 etc):

https://www.dxatlas.com/omnirig/

There's a lot of useful information in the SDRC help pages for CW Skimmer. Ignore the fact it's slanted towards CWS. The principals and software requirements are all useful for any external program.

Regarding the Elad specifically I can't help as I don't have one. But I am wondering why the mention of splitter? Anyway, take a look at these two links. Bit rushed at the mo but if I get time later I will post screenshots of my Log4OM setup as a guide:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/elad-transceiver

https://www.sdr-radio.com/cw-skimmer

Max

AlElad1

Unread post by AlElad1 »

Max,

Thank you, I started afresh with the com ports. I created a pair - com 7 + 8 and Log4OM connected, however it still only displays to a 50Khz resolution, for instance 14.034 Mhz is shown as 14.050, If I tune to 14.095 0n the SDR C waterfall it still shows 14.050 on Log4OM.

Dx Commander also behaves in the same way.

Max

Unread post by Max »

AlElad1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:24 pm I started afresh with the com ports. I created a pair - com 7 + 8 and Log4OM connected, however it still only displays to a 50Khz resolution, for instance 14.034 Mhz is shown as 14.050, If I tune to 14.095 0n the SDR C waterfall it still shows 14.050 on Log4OM. Dx Commander also behaves in the same way.
That is very odd. Using Hermes Lite 2 I get perfect frequency passing. See attached. Could it possibly be something to do with the Elad? Have you got another SDR you could try it with? An RTL-SDR dongle or similar perhaps to rule this out?

Have you got Omnirig correct version (1.2) and set to the right Com port and setup as per attached? Rig as TS-2000? For you Com port will presumably be Com8 of course? SDRC takes Com 7 (or the other way around).

Also, can you take a full screenshot of SDRC and another full screenshot of Log4OM when you have this issue and post here as attachments? Please don't crop or resize the SDRC screenshot:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/screenshot

Max
Attachments
Omni.jpg
Freq.jpg

AlElad1

Unread post by AlElad1 »

A Screenshot of Log4OM and SDRC
Ports 7 & 8 were used.
The same thing with DX Commander. Dx Commander displays the full accurate frequency when running the Elad SW2 software so I'm sort of puzzled as to what is happening.
SDRC_LOg4OM.JPG

luigi

Unread post by luigi »

Hi Max.
if you click on a right spot on your log what happens?
on EasyLog the visualization frequency remains unchanged.
also my other friends SDRC doesn't work properly with log sync and CW skimmer read panadapter center frequency.
We should ask Simon hoping he reads

configuring VSPE and VAC is the stupidest thing existing only with SDRC it is impossible to set. the problem happens to other people too

Max

Unread post by Max »

luigi wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:26 pm Hi Max.
if you click on a right spot on your log what happens?
on EasyLog the visualization frequency remains unchanged.
also my other friends SDRC doesn't work properly with log sync and CW skimmer read panadapter center frequency.
We should ask Simon hoping he reads
configuring VSPE and VAC is the stupidest thing existing only with SDRC it is impossible to set. the problem happens to other people too
If I have DX Cluster running in Log4OM and I double-click a DX Cluster line in Log4OM, SDRC goes straight to correct frequency and mode. And if I change frequency or mode in SDRC, Log4OM (and other programs) track perfectly.

CW Skimmer I don't have set up at the moment, but remember CWS is supposed to be driven from the CWS end. That's its correct function. Once I have it reloaded I will check that too.

I can't say why yours does not work. I can only say I followed all of Simon's instructions and everything seems to work just fine.

I can only think it is because I am using true SDR (Hermes Lite 2) and do not use External Radio feature at all. Maybe that is an issue somewhere?

Max

Max

Unread post by Max »

AlElad1 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:29 am I am using VSPE and com ports 7 + 8 set up as a port 7 connector and 7 > 8 Splitter.

TIA
Alan.
Just to fully clarify, I do NOT use and never have used, VSPE.

I use VSP Manager from K5FR and i do NOT use port splitting. No need at all in my setup. I think maybe this could be the issue for both of you (Alan and Luigi)?

https://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php/VSP_Manager

Email K5FR and he will send a copy for free.

Max

AlElad1

Re: ELad FDM Duo - Tuning from DX Commander / Log4OM - SOLVED!

Unread post by AlElad1 »

I have asked for a copy of VSP manager and will report back.

UPDATE - Now Working but not due to VSP settings.

SHORT answer - If you have an Elad Duo then use the generic KENWOOD radio type in Omnirig when setting up the CAT in Log4OM.

I installed the VSP manager and set up a pair of ports but still the same problem with Log4OM.

Then I set up DX Commander using the same ports and it worked perfectly. When I looked at the radio selection in DX Commander it was set to KENWOOD. The answer if you have an Elad is not to use the TS2000 radio with SDRC but select the generic KENWOOD in Omnirig. Once selected it worked perfectly and all frequency info is displayed accurately in Log4M.

So thank you Max for the suggestion of VSP manager - it works and is free. Downside is that Elad's SW2 software needs a Com splitter, but now that SDRC works with my logger I will stick with it as the main software for the Elad. I actually prefer the UI as it is more intuitive (for me anyway).

Max

Re: ELad FDM Duo - Tuning from DX Commander / Log4OM - SOLVED!

Unread post by Max »

AlElad1 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:42 am
SHORT answer - If you have an Elad Duo then use the generic KENWOOD radio type in Omnirig when setting up the CAT in Log4OM.

The answer if you have an Elad is not to use the TS2000 radio with SDRC but select the generic KENWOOD in Omnirig. Once selected it worked perfectly and all frequency info is displayed accurately in Log4M.

So thank you Max for the suggestion of VSP manager - it works and is free. Downside is that Elad's SW2 software needs a Com splitter, but now that SDRC works with my logger I will stick with it as the main software for the Elad. I actually prefer the UI as it is more intuitive (for me anyway).
This is good news. Well done for finding it!

Max