Enabling CUDA causes SDRC to lockup when starting radio

NO6B

Enabling CUDA causes SDRC to lockup when starting radio

Unread post by NO6B »

Based on Simon's recommendation I bought an NVIDIA GTX1650 to replace the Intel integrated graphics in my i7-4770 CPU. However, after starting SDRC for the first time after installing the card, it locked up when trying to start a radio (doesn't matter which one). So I started SDRC without starting a radio, went into the options & found that CUDA had enabled itself. So I tried turning it off, & now SDRC works fine. But if I turn on CUDA, close SDRC, restart it & try to start a radio it locks up again.

Fortunately I'm getting much better performance even without CUDA (can now run the RX-888 at full 32 MHz), but it'd be nice to be able to use it in SDRC.

Bob NO6B

NO6B

Re: Enabling CUDA causes SDRC to lockup when starting radio

Unread post by NO6B »

Well of course I had to post the above in order for the problem to resolve itself :D

Actually I did reboot the system due to renumbering my COM ports. Perhaps something else fixed itself during that reboot.

BTW I notice no real difference in CPU load between CUDA & IPP when the FFT resolution is set to /8. When set to default or higher it does help in that the CPU load is the same as when set to /8 with or w/o CUDA. But like I mentioned in my previous post the GTX1650 is taking a big load off of the CPU even w/o CUDA enabled.

Simon G4ELI

Re: Enabling CUDA causes SDRC to lockup when starting radio

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

NO6B wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:27 am Well of course I had to post the above in order for the problem to resolve itself :D

Actually I did reboot the system due to renumbering my COM ports. Perhaps something else fixed itself during that reboot.

BTW I notice no real difference in CPU load between CUDA & IPP when the FFT resolution is set to /8. When set to default or higher it does help in that the CPU load is the same as when set to /8 with or w/o CUDA. But like I mentioned in my previous post the GTX1650 is taking a big load off of the CPU even w/o CUDA enabled.
And it's helping with the graphics.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!