SDR Console_VB-Audio Cable

pnoelw

SDR Console_VB-Audio Cable

Unread post by pnoelw »

Until about 2 weeks ago I had been using the HF+ Discovery, SDRConsole driving 3 receivers on 518, 490 and 486 through VB-Audio Cables into 3 instances of YaND. All worked very well and my only bother was qrm on 490. And then it all went bad…….

Even strong signals were decoding as gibberish with the occasional clear text for 1 or 2 words. I assumed it was just additional noise on 518 until I noticed that quite often the ZCZC identifier would come through clear together with the 2nd line and then it would turn to rubbish. Sometimes the overnight session would start off just fine and then return to gibberish late at night or in the early morning.

Just occasionally it flips back to good decodes for a while. I can’t isolate what the trigger might be.

After many days of uninstalling and re-installing VB-Cables and SDRC and running parallel comparisons I have eliminated the following
- QRM
- YaND
- The radios. Both the Perseus and Discovery are producing full decodes all night using their native software (Perseus v5 and SDR#)
- VB-Cable. All 5 cables are working perfectly with the 2 radios and their native software

So it must be SDR Console ….. or a Windows/SDRC issue

I had resisted the Windows 10 update to v2004 for a few months but the inevitable happened and I was told that I needed to re-boot. I had just updated SDRC to 3.0.25 on the same day. And when I re-booted, Windows had messed up the VB-Cables which I then had to fully uninstall and re-install. And then the issues outlined above started…..

Is anyone else using the same combination of Windows 10 v2004, SDRC v3.0.25 and VB-Audio Cable?

Should I try going back to SDRC v3.0.24?

Any reasonable suggestions gratefully accepted…….

Noel.

PD3LK

Re: SDR Console_VB-Audio Cable

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi, did you tell Win10 wich programs are alowd to use the microphone? (read: audio recording devices incl virtual cables)
Search for the the attached audio settings screen in your Windows Audio Settings. Excuse my PC, he's Dutch
Attachments
Audio.png

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Sinds a Win10 update a few month's ago, all of these settings are default on OFF for security reasons.
Keep this in mind because these can be set to OFF again with future updates.

pnoelw

Unread post by pnoelw »

Thank you for your suggestion, PD3LK. I have found that Windows Settings page and all are switched on. A few days ago i decided to switch to VAC and that appears to work well at the moment. So I still haven't definitively solved the issue but at least have what appears to be a working solution. Maybe until the next major W10 update!
Regards

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

I use several decoders the same time too and must say that VoiceMeeter Banana or Patato is ideal for that job. It has build in VAC's.

Pls have a look at the new attachment, do you have Noise Blanker on? (WideBand DSP)
Attachments
Noise Blanker.jpg

pnoelw

Unread post by pnoelw »

Hi PD3LK
Noise blanker off; notch off;
In my original post I indicated that all had been working fine for many months until a Windows update. This is not a settings issue in SDRC.
Here is a screenshot running just fine with 3 decoders using Virtual Audio Cable and not VB-Cable which is what VoiceMeeter and Potato use.
Attachments
Screenshot-2020-11-19-175511.png