Filter Option In Memories ?

Robert11

Filter Option In Memories ?

Unread post by Robert11 »

Hello,

Using the "Memories" for the first time.

Re the Filter option that each individual Memory setup has, exactly "what" is this filter, please ?

How is it used ? When, etc. ?

Thanks, as always,
Bob

Max

Re: Filter Option In Memories ?

Unread post by Max »

Hi Bob

When you save a memory it saves it with however the RX DSP panel filter is set at the time. It then offers you the option to "edit" that DSP filter value manually away from the preset setting after saving. So long as when you initially save the memory, the DSP filter is set as you prefer then there is no need to worry about it. I did not even know the option to edit it was there until you highlighted it!

Best

max

KA1GJU

Re: Filter Option In Memories ?

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Hello Bob,

For example, you save some of your favorite Am BC stations in the first bank of memories. Typically you will listen to AM BC stations with a 5kHz wide audio filter (buttons under the Mode choices in the DSP Panel). Since USA stations are 10kHz apart, if you have two strong stations on adjacent channels, a filter wider than 5kHz will allow the neighboring station to interfere.

The best way (I find) to program the memories is to set the frequency and place it where you want it in the scope/waterfall (right clicks of mouse centers screen on mouse location).
Set the proper mode in the 'Mode' panel of the DSP. Such as AM, LSB, USB, etc.
Then set the 'Filter' width (audio filter width) just below it accordingly. AM typically +/-5kHz, USB/LSB amateur signals at 3kHz typically, etc.
All the other settings below the 'Filter' are NOT saved! So they remain where you last left them. That can be an issue if you jump from band to band via the 'Memories' buttons if you change modes such as going from AM BC and then go to listening to Amateurs on 20M's. So you MUST check those if you use them (I don't) since I rarely have QRM that I need to reduce/eliminate.
THEN hit the desired Menu button to save everything with ONE keystroke. The frequency, position of the frequency on the screen, the mode, audio filter, and noise reduction filters are all saved.

The 'Edit' feature of the memory allows you to change the frequency, mode, audio filter. Most importantly, it allows you to re-label the memory to something more meaningful versus a raw frequency number. That's the 'Title' area of the edit. So, programming the memories is easy if you do the steps above, then if you want to change the name (title), you can edit that once it's saved.

Is this the Bob from Boston, MA? I thought you went over to the 'dark side' and went to SDR#? LOL

73 Kriss KA1GJU (Your Elmer up to your North!)
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)