How to remove wrong RDS ID?

KA1GJU

How to remove wrong RDS ID?

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Where is this data stored? I deleted the database and it still appears as station over a thousand miles away.
Or is this an error in the RDS decoding or is WGIR in Manchester, NH sending bad data?
I notice some stations are correct, and others are wrong. even with a strong signal present.
See the arrow below:

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Attachments
Screenshot-2020-11-30-115904.png
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

G0OFE

Re: How to remove wrong RDS ID?

Unread post by G0OFE »

Looks like it's the station sending wrong data to me, unless Simon broke the RDS system (not very likely) - it's worked without a glitch here right through the summer Es.
Jim, Bournemouth IO90BR

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

i expect it's a program relay.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

G0OFE wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:20 pm Looks like it's the station sending wrong data to me, unless Simon broke the RDS system (not very likely) - it's worked without a glitch here right through the summer Es.
FWIW the USA PI Code is different - there's an algorithm to determine the station call from the PI code.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

DaveB

Unread post by DaveB »

I have a somewhat similar problem with stations being wrongly identified in the RDS database and display here in Europe. As far as I can tell it is down to the radio station not following the laid down standards for RDS identification.

So according to thee RDS display in SDRC - C201 Araz FM is from Lihuania - when it is actually from Azerbaijan. RDSSpy in the Basic RDS services window reveals it is using the ECC (Extended country code) E2 and also identifies the country of origin as "LT" the 2 letter code for Lithuania. If you check the link below you will see that the initial letter C is allocated to Lithuania, along with ECC E2.

Azerbaijan is supposed to use B as the inital letter and ECC code E3. I've actually revamped the list in a spreradsheet and sorted on a column with the initial pi letter concatenated with the ECC. There are 238 entries covering the whole world. If every station stuck to the rules there would be only three clashes 1. The Azores have the same PI+ECC as Palestine; 2. The Northern Territory (Aus) is the same as Iran, and 3. Denmark and the Faroes islands share the same combination

You only have to check FMList, or experience an Es opening to Europe to realise that a lot of stations make up the PI code to suit themselves. eg two stations on 88.5 use the pi code 8850, one from Latvia and one from Greece neither of which is supposed to use 8 as the first character of the pi code.

The other thing is - one is lucky if one finds a station that actually transmits the ECC code any way.

So although Simon has done a good job of identifying the country from the pi code etc - he is scuppered at the first hurdle. Oh well - I suppose it is only DXers who really benefit from the broadcasters following the rule.

http://poupa.cz/rds/countrycodes.htm

A final random thought - a good subject for a quiz round - "identify the foreign lorry" - as they generally use the two character country id code.
And a final final observation - Kosovo (RKS) is not on the RDS country code list.

David