Altered Start Menu.

MisterJ

Altered Start Menu.

Unread post by MisterJ »

I wanted to try your SDR software but did understand this statement: "The Windows Start menu is rebuilt, any changes you have made are lost." Please tell me what this means. I do not use the MS start menu on my W10 x64 but a Classic one. Thanks end enjoy, John.

m3ghe

Re: Altered Start Menu.

Unread post by m3ghe »

Where are you seeing this staement?
Martin
m3ghe
IO92sc
G-QRP club 6129
Use my online radios http://remoteradio.myddns.me/ or http://remoteradio.changeip.org/

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi John

Yes, I see this on the download page but never read it before you mentioned it. I don't know 100%, but I would take it to mean that if you reorganise any of the start menu shortcuts or entries in the SDR Console Start Menu (or Classic Menu) entry that these will be over-written when each new update of SDRC is installed. I think for 99.9% of all users this is of no concern whatsoever. I've certainly never noticed any issues at all and never heard it ever mentioned. Just go ahead. All will be fine, and you will never regret trying SDR Console!

As far as I know (apologies if wrong) there is always a "Start Menu" in Windows. It's just a question of which presentation of it you choose to use, Classic or Win10 style. I was probably like you a while ago. Fought hard to resist the updated Win 8/Win 10 Start Menu and kept going back to Classic, but when I finally decided to stick with it I would now never go back to the Classic menu. Try it for a few weeks. You might grow to like it. You can still pin your regulars to the Start Menu (tile fashion) and it's actually extremely quick to find any other program just by starting to type the first couple of letters of the program name.

Uh oh, I feel this might be at risk of starting a thread on Windows Start Menu formats!

Best

Max

MisterJ wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:35 pm I wanted to try your SDR software but did understand this statement: "The Windows Start menu is rebuilt, any changes you have made are lost." Please tell me what this means. I do not use the MS start menu on my W10 x64 but a Classic one. Thanks end enjoy, John.

MisterJ

Unread post by MisterJ »

Thanks, m3ghe and Max for your quick replies. I will give the console a try. I have created a restore point just in case. Enjoy, John.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

"I do not use the MS start menu on my W10 x64 but a Classic one."

If you use broken software expect broken results. It takes time but Win 10 can be made very similar to Win 7. (In in a couple regards better which makes up for the stupid way it forces alphabetization of the start menu.)

{^_^}

MisterJ

Unread post by MisterJ »

Thanks, jdow. A bit judgemental but I choose not to enter a contest on this subject. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Sorry, you were prescient, Max.