Server Logs

WD8ED

Server Logs

Unread post by WD8ED »

Hello,

I've been playing with the server lately. I recently relocated and have more room and a quieter location. So I decided to use some of my spare SDRs as servers.

It wasn't too bad and I found answers to almost all of my questions on this site's documentation and this forum. Except for a couple. Here we go!

Are there different levels of logging that aren't obvious? I ask because it's hard to tell if the server is working and how well it's performing. I never see any users logged in on the Connections tab. But Security shows a lot of connect and reconnect entries for remote users. Are these errors transparent to a normal operation? Are users actually getting connected and getting proper performance? I see users but never receive any feedback by the provided email.

How do I read and interpret the indications that are there?

Testing from inside my firewall works fine. I can connect two different computers, one each to each SDR. It seems to work just fine. But I also generate a list of error events the security log. My firewall port forwarding appears to be working just fine as well.

I also have had several crashes of the client side computers. What information do I need to supply to properly report these events?

And finally, when testing with my own computers behind my firewall on my local LAN the Connections tab shows more bandwidth being used than I have the limits set for. Am I misunderstanding these settings?

As always, thank you Simon and anyone assisting him.

Ed

KA1GJU

Re: Server Logs

Unread post by KA1GJU »

I’m out flying today, but home after midnight. I will build some definitions in the AM and give them a workout and let you know if they are working 100%.

73 Kriss KA1GJU/AM

PS: Bookmark the following to keep tabs on your server
http://onairv3.sdrspace.com/onair-v3.xml
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

WD8ED

Unread post by WD8ED »

This post did stimulate some feedback. The system appears to be working and I'll be working on the antennas over the next couple of days.

But still my questions about the logging are still open.

Thank you,

Ed

WD8ED

Unread post by WD8ED »

Just for the crash dump instructions. So that part is answered.

Added RTL-SDR to the server in place of the SDR-IQ. Also put the VHF side of the FDM-S2 and the RTL-SDR on a 2m/70cm/6m vertical.

Thank you.

Ed

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

Tested this AM (71.161.222.46 Enosburg Falls, Vermont, 05450, United States) on both SDR's
The FDM-S2 cannot be operated on max bandwidth (768 kHz) without momentary pauses every two seconds or so. Lower bandwidths are good.
The RTL-SDR was rather deaf on FM (and off frequency), but suddenly the signal WKQZ Z93 FM jumped in signal strength after selecting a manual and going back to automatic RF Gain. See attached image of selecting from default of Auto, to manual, back to Auto. Max useable bandwidth was also 500 kHz, or the momentary pauses in audio happen.
I'd place the SDR-iq back online, much better RXR and filtering for HF vs the RTL-SDR and run all three SDR's.

HF antenna seems to work well on 160 and 80M, still too early to test the upper bands. I briefly went to 20M and was completely dead except for some QRM streaks every 61 kHz. Not even and FT8 signals! See attached comparison screen shot.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Attachments
20M antenna comparison
20M antenna comparison
RF Gain weirdness on RTL-SDR
RF Gain weirdness on RTL-SDR
73 Kriss KA1GJU Home of the KA1GJU Super Station SDRC Servers in NH, USA (FN42mw & FN43na)

WD8ED

Unread post by WD8ED »

Thanks for the data! I find none of that to be a surprise! :-)

It's very rural up here and not many FM BC stations. The few that are strong are big stations. Some aren't all that far away but have antenna patterns favoring more populated areas. Also that antenna's lowest design range is 144 Mhz. It's a bit too short for optimal FM BC. Put it this way, without extensive efforts we don't pick up any usable TV signals. Hills, valleys, forests and distance all working against us. I get my cell coverage via our internet!

Bandwidth. Bandwidth was set to 1.5 meg assuming two concurrent connections. My service here is only 100/10 mbit. Generally up-link bandwidth isn't in high demand for most home users but use too much and network response can be an issue. Also so providers frown on such internal "servers". So attracting too much attention is not a good idea. Just in case they do care. These settings will require some testing to find what works best overall. I'll bump the settings a bit and see how it works and how much bandwidth is really be used and the affect on other internet services here in our home. One note is that the FDM-S2 running at full bandwidth can really eat up some connection bandwidth. Running it in that mode will tell me more. Maybe the server ends up with one 0-160 MHz radio. I have all sorts of radios, but it's quality antennas and outgoing bandwidth that are issue.

My location is very quiet. But you'd never know by the RTL-SDR. I know because I run a ground mounted vertical which is really a handful of parallel resonant vertical wires and Marconi L for 160. That 160m wire is about 100 ft vertical. It has an extensive radial field. It's very quiet and doesn't need a tuner at all 160-15m. It would be a great antenna for broadband listening. But I'm not giving it up. I may try to do more to replicate it with the existing wire antenna. Then there is proximity to transmit antennas. I seldom transmit. Mostly occasional digital modes. That also has to be considered.

The HF antenna has resonances on 160, 80, around 60m and around 10 meters. Here it appears to work well on 160, 80 and 40. Some traffic on 20m but it does miss weaker stations.

As for swapping the SDR-IQ and the RTL-SDR... they have no real useful overlapping frequency coverage. The SDR-IQ is a 0-30 MHz radio. The RTL-SDR is pretty much everything else. Personally, I've never been impressed with the RTL-SDRs. They work yes. But I find them to be a mess. My particular RTL-SDR is about -41.3 ppm off and works better at an ATT of about 29.7 dbm vice the Auto setting. A good local frequency to check frequency and attenuation levels Almost no sensitivity is sacrificed. This unit is a few years old. Maybe new ones are better. I don't know. One other thing. A good local frequency to check frequency calibration and attenuator is the the NOAA weather frequency of 162.450 MHz.

When it comes to these settings there's no way that I know of to "preset" them or default them. You as a user can make these settings and they persist from session to session but I can't do it for new users. As far as I know.

I'd like to provide a service to others using equipment I may not be fully utilizing. I'll make some antenna changes and upgrades as I can. But limitations are numerous. It will never be everything to everyone right? But I'd like to find a useful configuration that isn't intrusive to my yard, time and my internet usage. :-)

Thanks again! Keep and eye out for changes!

KA1GJU

Unread post by KA1GJU »

10mB up is the bottle neck, anyone using the SDR’s to monitor FM BC or 2M FM are going to use max bandwidth ther server can provide. I find most HF users running only 30 kHz, especially if overseas. Maybe their download BW is too expensive?

Use the compression option in the network tab, that will save you about 40% on upload BW.

As for the RTL units, I only will use them for ADSB servers, or APRS Gateways., not for roaming the HF/VHF bands...for there are better suited SDRs for that.

I have a dedicated Airspy R2 on a Diamond X-200 up 50’ on my tower. It gets a little use from some club members during 2M nets, but OTW it’s seldom used.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Home of the Super Station SDRC Servers

WD8ED

Unread post by WD8ED »

Remember when 10Base seemed like a lot of bandwidth? Ugh...

I'll play with the bandwidth some. But across a LAN it's not a real indication.

Thanks again.

Ed

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

The rtlsdr dongle on AGC is next to useless as it's "AGC" is not tuned for SWL conditions and leads to easy overloading. It does not have a manual "ATT" setting. It has gain settings from a useless 0 (or even below with some adjustment curves) to over 40 dB. The optimum setting is typically about 20 dB. (The exact value depends on the gain curve selected. Start at something like 10 dB gain and step upwards until the SNR quits rising with the gain increases.

{o.o}

WD8ED

Unread post by WD8ED »

jdow wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:52 am The rtlsdr dongle on AGC is next to useless as it's "AGC" is not tuned for SWL conditions and leads to easy overloading. It does not have a manual "ATT" setting. It has gain settings from a useless 0 (or even below with some adjustment curves) to over 40 dB. The optimum setting is typically about 20 dB. (The exact value depends on the gain curve selected. Start at something like 10 dB gain and step upwards until the SNR quits rising with the gain increases.

{o.o}
Oh, absolutely. I ended up about 29.7 but I don't have many stations nearby to overload me! :-) That's both good and bad!

Thank you,

Ed