Help with Auto Mute if used as Panadapter needet...

jdow

Re: Help with Auto Mute if used as Panadapter needet...

Unread post by jdow »

DO1ATM wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:06 am
jdow wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:42 am I wonder if he has tried "home->options->AutoMute. Check the checkbox and set the muting levels. This only works if the signal when TXing is maybe 10 dB larger than incoming signals as a minimum.

{^_^}
Thank you,
but as you can see in the initial post ... Yes. But it did'nt work as in the Screenshot (wrong Parameters maybe ?).
The critical issue is whether your signal when you are transmitting is higher than the signals you normally receive. If it is not then the muting won't work. If it is then it may work. You have to juggle the mute level until your TX signal just blanks it. I have made mute work (simplex) with an external HT on VHF. So the concept is strong but does require your TX signal into the dongle be somewhat (10dB or more) higher than the signals you want to hear on receive.

(As a side issue you MAY be trying to push an RTLSDR dongle a little harder than it can handle. They have very small dynamic range. They are nice "get your feet wet" tools. But it's difficult to swim in a wading pool.)

{^_^}

DO1ATM

Unread post by DO1ATM »

This was the Push in the right Direction.
My Sending level, from the Rig, is 9+20,
If I set the Singal level vor 'MEAN' to - 70dB the Receiver went silent during sending.
PERFEKT, Thank you.
Tom

m3ghe

Unread post by m3ghe »

DO1ATM wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:11 am
m3ghe wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:15 pm One question are you using the RTL SDR connected to the IF output or to the antenna?
The Stick is connected via IF output.
I think I can take the RS232 Signal, read it with a Arduino an switch a Realis if there is no posibillity in the Software ..
Strange when I use my radio and RTL-SDR in the same way I don't have this problem because the moment I transmit my radio cuts the IF signal off, as it is needed by the radio while in TX and the real frequency of the RTL-SDR is far removed from my TX frequency.
So it seems that your radio is using the same IF frequency on TX as it is on RX.
What frequency is the IF that you are using?
Also what panadapter board are you using? Most are only supplied with voltage during receive to avoid this issue. Sounds like yours is powered all the time.
Martin
m3ghe
IO92sc
G-QRP club 6129
Use my online radios http://remoteradio.myddns.me/ or http://remoteradio.changeip.org/

DO1ATM

Unread post by DO1ATM »

Hi Martin,

my Pan-Adapter is kinde of a Hack i confess.
Im using the RF Port in my FT-950 an connect it direkt to the SDR.
The Frequency is 69.449.900, works grat except of this particular problem.
All the found solution isn't realy the solution as I expected.
Unfortunately, it seems -70db is the sweet spot for my setup, as soon as a Spike hit the -70db the Receiver went silent, not often but annoying.

Tom