IF Output

Airz

IF Output

Unread post by Airz »

Greetings to all, and sorry if I'm stupid .. I have this problem, with the use of the external radio module ( SDR console )
I use a Yaesu ft1000mp mark 5 Field and connecting the radio with SDRPlay or an Airspy hf, the connection between SDR console 3.1 - omniring - radio seems to work fine, but using the option to use the IF Output all commands respond, but not I see no signal on the warterfall of the SDR Console 3.1....

Max

Re: IF Output

Unread post by Max »

Did you read all the way down this page, especially the part about entering the correct offset for when using rig IF output?

https://www.sdr-radio.com/external-radio

Just for future reference it often helps to post a screenshot (generated by the screenshot tool in SDRC) when raising a query:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/screenshot

Max

Airz

Unread post by Airz »

Thanks for the answer, yes of course I have read everything, but I am almost sure that I am wrong to insert the IF Output ... right?
PS: in the wording that reads: "FT 1000mp not responding" and only because the radio was off at the time. ;)

Max

Unread post by Max »

Hi again

As nobody else has answered, I should first say I don't ever use and external radio with SDRC so maybe not the best person to answer, but I see a couple of things that look odd from the screenshots. But first, just a note to say that the screenshots should always show SDR Console in the "problem" condition with everything running, so for a start you say so FT1000 off but we want to see the screenshots taken at time of the problem, with as much fully running as possible.

Nevertheless:

(1) In the screenshot of SDRC main screen you do not have any radio running, otherwise I would expect to see HF+ or RSP radio in the running condition and the operational SDR shown in the title bar of the program and bottom left of SDRC screen, so you need to "Start" the radio. Why is radio no started?

(2) Where are you obtaining the IF signal from the FT1000MP? I took a quick look round the web, but it's not at all clear that this radio comes with IF output as standard, so I guess you added it somehow? It struck me as odd that you have 455kHz selected for the IF offset. As I say, I am no expert, but for full benefit of the panadapter, I would have guessed one of the earlier IF outputs would be tapped? At 455kHz surely this is the final IF after all the bandwidth filters? Would surely limit the span ad therefore the usefulness of the panadapter? Most other rigs I see using SDR as a panadapter are picking up IF output from an earlier IF maybe around 9-10 MHz?

(3) Alternative mode (certainly easier) would be to split the RX antenna (in fact I think FT1000 has RX in and RX out connectors? Is this antenna passthrough I would guess). So connect the SDR antenna input to the FT1000MP "RX Out" and then just run the SDR as the panadapter in parallel with the FT1000? Easier surely than taking the IF output?

(4) Might need to consider some sort of RF protection/limiter on the input of the SDR so as not to blow front end of SDR with FT1000 transmitting? Depends how well isolated the "RX Output" connector is on the back of the FT1000 when it is in TX?

Anyway, just my thoughts to take or leave as you find useful (or not!).

Max

Airz

Unread post by Airz »

I thank you again for the answer, of course a shared antenna was simpler, but I wanted to experiment and I didn't want to compromise the functionality of the 2 sdr that I have.
I'll see what to do and maybe if I solve it I'll write it here
Thanks again

vk2lx

Unread post by vk2lx »

You will need to install a mod to the FT1000MP Mk5 to get a 70Mhz IF output and use one of these - https://www.sdr-kits.net/Panoramic-Adaptor-Tap-Boards.
Best to install the tap before the 1st roofing filter otherwise you are limited in the bandwidth you will display on your panadapter. Not a modification for the faint hearted, unsteady hands or inexperienced (IMHO)
73 Grant

Airz

Unread post by Airz »

vk2lx wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:30 am You will need to install a mod to the FT1000MP Mk5 to get a 70Mhz IF output and use one of these - https://www.sdr-kits.net/Panoramic-Adaptor-Tap-Boards.
Best to install the tap before the 1st roofing filter otherwise you are limited in the bandwidth you will display on your panadapter. Not a modification for the faint hearted, unsteady hands or inexperienced (IMHO)
73 Grant
:D ;) ;) Thank you