Synchronizing SDR Console with external radio?

maby

Synchronizing SDR Console with external radio?

Unread post by maby »

OK, I'm new to SDR Console, so the answer may be hidden away in the documentation, but I can't see it, so please forgive me if it's there...

I'm using SDR Console with an SDR Play RSP1A as the second receiver and enhanced panadaptor for my IC-7300. I have it all configured and working fine and can link the two via OmniRig. Most of the time I turn tracking off so that I can use the two receivers separately with SDR Console showing me a high resolution spectrum and allowing me to check a signal with point-and-click, listening through the PC speaker. What I want, and cannot find, is a way to synchronise SDR Console with the external radio in a controllable way. I can turn tracking on with a simple mouse click, but that has no effect until I change frequency on SDR Console. What I would like is a pair of buttons or simple keystrokes that will send the frequency and mode from SDR Console to the external radio or get it from the external radio into SDR Console - preferably without enabling tracking. Does such a thing exist? If not, any chance of adding it?

TIA

Martin (G8FXC)

Max

Re: Synchronizing SDR Console with external radio?

Unread post by Max »

maby wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:37 pm What I would like is a pair of buttons or simple keystrokes that will send the frequency and mode from SDR Console to the external radio or get it from the external radio into SDR Console - preferably without enabling tracking. Does such a thing exist? If not, any chance of adding it?

Martin (G8FXC)
Sorry, I don't use SDRC in this mode but a few on here who do may be better qualified to answer. As far as I can see tracking is either on or off. There's no "in between" mode I would not think.

But firstly, did you read everything on these two pages (External Radio and Serial Ports/Omnirig):

https://www.sdr-radio.com/external-radio

https://www.sdr-radio.com/SerialPort

Max

maby

Unread post by maby »

Max wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:45 am ...
Sorry, I don't use SDRC in this mode but a few on here who do may be better qualified to answer. As far as I can see tracking is either on or off. There's no "in between" mode I would not think.

But firstly, did you read everything on these two pages (External Radio and Serial Ports/Omnirig):

https://www.sdr-radio.com/external-radio

https://www.sdr-radio.com/SerialPort

Max
Thanks for that, Max... I have been looking at the SerialPort function and I believe it is possible to implement what I'm looking for by writing a small program in Visual Basic or similar. I have done something similar in the context of amateur radio related software and it worked well enough. Before I dug out the coding pad, I thought it was worth asking here if I'm missing anything - not looking for wheels to reinvent! I would have thought that it was a relatively common requirement for users of SDR Console with a transceiver...

Martin (G8FXC)

bagmouse7

Unread post by bagmouse7 »

You don't need to reinvent the wheel here.
Follow the "External Radio" link that Max posted.

You will need to configure Omni-rig for the 7300, and then enable the synchronization function in the external radio panel in SDR Console.
This works great, I use it with a couple of different Icom rigs.
Good luck.

maby

Unread post by maby »

bagmouse7 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:26 pm You don't need to reinvent the wheel here.
Follow the "External Radio" link that Max posted.

You will need to configure Omni-rig for the 7300, and then enable the synchronization function in the external radio panel in SDR Console.
This works great, I use it with a couple of different Icom rigs.
Good luck.
I don't think this solves my problem, does it? I have synchronization working fine in the sense that I can lock the SDR and IC-7300 to each other, but I'm looking for a more selective option. I want the SDR and transceiver to function separately but with a simple operation to bring one into sync with the other in a controlled manner. If I turn off tracking, I can use the two separately, but I can find no reliable way of subsequently transferring the mode and frequency from one to the other. I can turn tracking back on, then very quickly make a small frequency change on the device I want to be the master and SDR Console will usually detect that and propagate it to the other device, but it is at best cumbersome and sometimes error prone. With tracking turned on, SDR Console seems to poll the transceiver to detect changes there as well as propagating frequency changes from the SDR to the transceiver. When I turn tracking back on, there seems to be a short window during which I can force the synchronization in the direction I want but if I miss that, SDR Console seems to make the decision for me as to which direction to synchronize...

Martin (G8FXC)

bagmouse7

Unread post by bagmouse7 »

Yes, I agree with you, I didn't understand exactly what you were hoping to do.
I guess I never noticed that you had to tune radio to sync the two.

herbk@comcast.net

Unread post by herbk@comcast.net »

Greetings:
Since this seems along the same topic line, I would like to ask about the role of OmniRig in synchronizing SDR Console with external radio.
I have had relatively good success with this and a Kenwood TS-990S radio. I have had struggles, however which I always seem to trace back to OmniRig.
I would call it "instability": the dreaded notification sound and for whatever reason external radio pane updates from "online" to "offline" or "port busy".
In order to re-establish, I end up reshuffling OmniRig settings and Cat (Serial) settings in SDRC and this usually reconnects me. Clearly, I don't have a handle
on what and why but I have had enough success that I have simply put up with this intermittent.

Some say the only stupid question is the one never asked (?) So.....

Would it be wise to update OmniRig? I am way back on Version 1.16, which may go way back to 2014. If yes to update, would a uninstall-re-install be
the way to go or is it not necessary to uninstall and simply do an overwrite, like I do with newer versions of SDRC?

Last time I checked, The TS-990S was not included in the .ini files downloaded. I have been using a custom .ini file written by a ham from a Kenwood support group.
I also see constant references to the TS-2000 "protocol". I can plug TS-2000 into the rig type in OmniRig and that seems to work with the TS-990 as well. This has always
been somewhat confusing to me. Perhaps I should review the latest files to see if my rig has been added or leave the TS-2000 in place. Does it matter?

Below are my current OmniRig settings matching those in the Silicone Labs USB to UART Bridge on Com 3 of my system.
Best,

Screenshot OmniRig  2021-12-11 094514.png

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

What you want is already present Martin :)
In the External Radio pane (in the Receive DSP) you will see a "?" ... that opens a new settings window. ;)
r/Leon

herbk@comcast.net

Unread post by herbk@comcast.net »

An update on these "intermittent issues" outlined.
I have traced these back to RFI issues originating with 5.1 computer speaker system
in close proximity to the radio(s). Turning the speaker system off resolves any disconnects, so far.
I have been connected continuously without incident/disconnects since discovery of this.

I was able to identify the issue from the waterfall when SDR-Radio was running. Turning off
the speaker system and the signal completely disappear. See proximity of 14290 kHz.

Operator error on this (again).
Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot-2021-12-18-100918.png

maby

Unread post by maby »

PD3LK wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:03 pm What you want is already present Martin :)
In the External Radio pane (in the Receive DSP) you will see a "?" ... that opens a new settings window. ;)
r/Leon
Hi Leon - I got out of the habit of watching this forum, so missed your post...

I am familiar with the settings window that you describe, but I don't see how it meets my needs - it configures the automatic synchronization between SDR Console and the external radio, but it remains "automatic synchronization". I can turn tracking on and off and I can limit it to being in one direction or the other, but I don't see any function to make the direction selectable and manual. I want SDR Console and the external radio to operate independently of each other with a simple and repeatable manual function to propagate the current frequency and mode in either direction.

Since my original post, I have written a simple utility in Visual Basic which does it and the result is a very good system. I can have the 7300 tuned to CW at the low end of the band and search around SSB traffic at the high end on the SDR. If I find something interesting on the SDR, a single click of the "To Radio" button in my little application will instantly tunr the 7300 to the same frequency and mode. Equally, if the signal I'm working down the low end starts to fade into the noise floor, a single click on the other button in my application will tune the SDR to the same frequency to let me try to dig it out there...

Martin (G8FXC)