FT1000D with IF over RTL-SDR

Alezis

FT1000D with IF over RTL-SDR

Unread post by Alezis »

Hello everyone,

I am having difficult time configuring all the offsets and tuning the RTL-SDR receiver to work with a FT-1000D with it's IF output (73.620MHz).

I have control established of the transceiver to sdr console, I find the scrolling acting strange while tuning the VFO on the radio, choppy (probably because of the 4800bps CAT speed of this old radio) waterfall but the waterfall also seems to stutters and redraw really strangely when the radio VFO is moved.

The best way I could make that work really smoothly is when I deactivate frequency control then the cursor stays in center of the waterfall and the scrolling is much better but then, the radio never sync properly with the frequency when I click on a waterfall signal. Sometime even with frequency control unchecked, it is still updating frequency changes for an unknown reason.

I have tough time figuring out the offset of LSB and USB as I am always at the limit 9999 offset and I am still far from the center of WWV for example. Anyone using a FT1000 care to share their settings in radio controls ?

There is another strange thing too that I cannot figure out, when the VFO on the radio is moved, the waterfall resize and get centered but as soon I zoom in closer, the frequency shift of a couple 100s Hz. If I retune the offset or main RTL oscillator to the zoom, when I touch the VFO on the radio, the waterfall is now offsetted when in recentered mode.

I've tried to reset oscillator adjustments to 0 PPM, unticked frequency control (as I suspected the radio was making the display shift when I zoom) and lastly add or remove offsets and there is always a frequency shift when I use the zoom scrolling bar.

Any suggestions ???

Thank you

iz1fks

Re: FT1000D with IF over RTL-SDR

Unread post by iz1fks »

those are issue about panadapter in sdrconsole, i know very well behaviour you are describing. Unfortunately these issues have not been solved. Tracking settings are working not in the correct way, at least using my rtl-sdr. Even the zoom issue should be easy to fix there is non reason to move the zoom moving VFO. best regards. Phil

Alezis

Unread post by Alezis »

iz1fks wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:30 pm those are issue about panadapter in sdrconsole, i know very well behaviour you are describing. Unfortunately these issues have not been solved. Tracking settings are working not in the correct way, at least using my rtl-sdr. Even the zoom issue should be easy to fix there is non reason to move the zoom moving VFO. best regards. Phil
Thanks Phil for the reply,

I hope that will be fixed some day, it might not be a popular use for sdrconsole...

It is a really nice software to use with old radio like the FT1000d for a spectrum scope.

Thanks for the precisions.

iz1fks

Unread post by iz1fks »

[/quote]

Thanks Phil for the reply,

I hope that will be fixed some day, it might not be a popular use for sdrconsole...

It is a really nice software to use with old radio like the FT1000d for a spectrum scope.

Thanks for the precisions.
[/quote]

I don't understand why it's so difficult to solve those issues, they don't look like hardware related but just bugs about external radio feature. This would be great in SDR console if it would fixed, so it's important that everybody want to use SDR console as panadapter report these issues.
by the way I'm using 19200bps so what I'm experiencing is not related with cat speed.

about offset setting for various mode in panadapter configuration I can suggest this link:https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano It's about HDSDR but the settings are very similar and the process is applicable

73 de Phil, iz1fks