Problem with FT-817 & FT-857 External radio

F6GKQ

Problem with FT-817 & FT-857 External radio

Unread post by F6GKQ »

Hi all,

I have a problem with SDR Console when I want to use my FT-817 or my FT-857 with external radio option. I receive the error message "Port busy" and/or "offline". To cancel it and make the external radio working, I have to remove and reinsert two, three times, sometimes more, the USB radio interface. Then it generally starts working BUT, at the same time, I see the CPU activity indicator passing from 2 or 3% to nearly 30% ! I dont understand why. I tested front or back USB ports, same problem. I even bought a powered USB hub, same problem.
My computer is W7 64 bits, i3 CPU, 4 GB RAM.
I will appreciate some help trying to solve this problem.

Many thanks and 73 !

Denis F6GKQ

G4HEC

Re: Problem with FT-817 & FT-857 External radio

Unread post by G4HEC »

I had similar issues with my TS-850 & FT-450D and I tracked it down to Windows turning the power OFF and ON for the USB to RS232 adaptor, I think Windows thinks it isn't being used and then puts it to sleep!

My fix was to go into the Device Manager (in Control Panel) and bring up the properties for each COM port and if it has 'Power Management' tab - Deselect 'Allow the computer to turn off this device...'

I also did the same for the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'

Hope this helps you

Paul G4HEC

F6GKQ

Unread post by F6GKQ »

Oh, very sorry Paul ! I have been a long time away from the forum and I missed your answer and your suggestion.

Many thanks for your information about power management of USB ports. I'll try the same operation you did, maybe it will also work on my computer. I still have to plug and unplug twice the USB interface each time I launch SDR Console. Cross my fingers, and hope it will work. I'll post an answer it as soon as I try.

By the way, my best wishes to you for a Happy New Year and the first one is "take care, stay in good health".

73 from Denis, F6GKQ

F6GKQ

Unread post by F6GKQ »

Back again, after trying. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. Power management on COM ports were already unchecked but I had some hope when I saw that "USB concentrator" (two items) were checked. So I unchecked them (so they are not allowed to be turned off) and restarted my computer. Same result, I always need to plug and unplug twice my USB-serial dongle...

Thanks for helping, Peter. I hope there will be a solution one day.

Good trafic and enjoy SDR Console.

73 from Denis, F6GKQ

G4HEC

Unread post by G4HEC »

Hi Peter,

That's a pity it didn't work for you, one thing else I did was to go to COM Ports and reassigned the com port number ie using com port 3,4,5 and 6 for my 4 com ports. I ignored the message saying the port was already in use as I'm not using any other com ports. Windows is not very good at releasing the com ports and keeps reassigning another.

Oh. Happy New year and stay safe

73 Paul G4HEC

G4HEC

Unread post by G4HEC »

Hi Peter,

Forgot to add, the clue I had was Windows produced the USB disconnect/reconnect sound. I also had similar situation when keying up the transceiver - RFI issue, once I put a few ferittes on some of the cables this sorted that one out.

73 Paul G4HEC

F6GKQ

Unread post by F6GKQ »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this new idea. I tried it this morning, a good way to start a grey and cold tuesday. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me : when I restarted, I always need to plug/unplug the USB/serial interface by two times before it is recognised. I will try to survive with this "bug" as it doesn't prevent me from using SDR Console.

Have a nice day, Paul, and 73 !

Denis, F6GKQ

yo7fws

Unread post by yo7fws »

(Google translate)
Hi Denis,

What interface do you use? Maybe the output level is on 3V3 and not on 5V. The connection length between the interface and the radio is too long. CAT connector is ok? Try installing the interface and SDC on another computer and compare the results. Try new drivers.

Success!
Constantin YO7FWS

PD3LK

Unread post by PD3LK »

Hi, also be aware that there are (at least where) a lot of bad USB/Serial converter cables arround. It is well known that some chinese manufactures uses cheap and bad ic's. Best not to buy these cables directly from china unless you are sure it's a trustworthy shop. I rather pay a bit more and buy them at well known radio amateur shops. 73, Leon

F6GKQ

Unread post by F6GKQ »

Many thanks to both of you, Constantin YO7FWS and Leon PD3LK.

I understand that my interface could be the true problem. I bought this one on the net,
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00AFR ... UTF8&psc=1
and power supply is 5 V by default. Maybe I could try to find another one... but how to be sure about the quality ?
As for the cable, it is 1.2 m long.
I'll keep searching but, unfortunately, I don't have any other computer to run SDR Console and the interface on it.

Happy New Year to both of you and many thanks for your help.

73 from Denis F6GKQ