LibUSB & USB Device Server

Nick

LibUSB & USB Device Server

Unread post by Nick »

:)
Last edited by Nick on Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jdow

Re: LibUSB & USB Device Server

Unread post by jdow »

It sounds like the USB over Ethernet does not support the bulk transfer mode. If that is true than you are out of luck.

However, it may also be related to the design of the adapter you have. Where does the dongle end get power? Can the dongle end deliver the power the dongles require? For that matter what does the adapter pair? The specs might be illuminating.

{o.o}

Nick

Unread post by Nick »

Last edited by Nick on Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nick

Unread post by Nick »

Last edited by Nick on Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

As soon as you place wireless in your link you have no guarantees that you can make high speed transfers. When I scan for wireless networks here I find there are twenty that can be discovered. At some times of day, late night usually, we can get good video streaming. Any other time of day tends to be patchy.

LibUSB is simply loadable DLL that connects to the lower level WinUSB.sys driver.

Have you managed to make this link work with a keyboard or mouse?

As far as LibUSB goes - it is "select your bugs" software. And there do not seem to be many people working on it, maybe single digit manhours a month. If this is a known LibUSB issue, either there is a Silex bug they refuse to fix and libusb cannot fix from its side of the fence, or "it's libusb, whadaya want for free?"

-- edit --
The first link I dug up suggests the Silex tool is more than a little bit shaky. Another thing I checked out suggests to me that it is "backwards" and identifies itself as a host rather than a device. That might be adjustable in its setup program.

{^_^}

Nick

Unread post by Nick »

Last edited by Nick on Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick

Unread post by Nick »

Last edited by Nick on Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdow

Unread post by jdow »

Well, without LibUSB you ain't gonna talk to the devices with current software. And the common denominator appears to be bulk transfers. That happens to be the technology that fails with virtual machines on Windows, too.

There are many knockoffs of LibUSB. All you have to do is write some test case software to load them instead of libusb. I doubt you will find success, but who knows, the king may dye or the horse may learn to sing. I'm not going to do it. I have other things to do.

(One such is discover a math bug in CuteSDR and other tools that use PLLs to generate the pilot carrier for FM stereo and RDS demodulation. It's rather subtle. That happened because I have been trying to code up my own SDR for personal use "just because." It keeps my 77 year old mind active.)

{^_^}