Reduction in CPU usage via CUDA

What you need to run the software
G6PZZ

Re: Reduction in CPU usage via CUDA

Unread post by G6PZZ »

Ed - Exactly what I'm going to do for this new build. A 1TB drive is less than I paid for a 240GB SATA SSD 7 years ago.

Max - I bought all my "Main PC" bits from them 7 years ago and it too is still going strong. I'm building up a shopping list during this week, hoping they'll do a bundle price to bring it under a grand. I'm also going with the GTX 1650 Super to keep the cost down but when budget allows, I'll fit something beefier. The 1650 will then go into the other PC.

It'll be nice to get back to radio and aerials!

wa4six

Unread post by wa4six »

I have a Dell G3 laptop that I went from a SATA SSD to the NVME. Blindingly fast now. Startup is about 12 seconds.
16GB RAM, 6 core 8th gen & 1050 vid card.

Ed

Simon G4ELI

Unread post by Simon G4ELI »

The 11th generation Intel CPUs will be rather fast, I'm optimistic that they will drive 2 x 4k monitors without the need for a GPU.

Also the FFT in 3.0.25 is faster when running without a GPU.
Simon Brown :shock:
www.sdr-radio.com

Do not send me direct e-mail, thank-you!

DaveB

Unread post by DaveB »

Well my new PC has arrived and has been mostly set up. The last "radio thing" to do is to load CSVUserList browser, add a pair of virtual com ports and sync to SDR Console. As already said by others an SSD is blisteringly fast - a few seconds tops which is mostly getting to the Windows log on screen - and it's ready to roll.

The biggest difference I've noticed compared to Win 8.1 is that whereas in Win 8.1 a background process called "System" nearly always runs - which in my old PC used 25-30% of the available CPU processing power eg just with the web browser open - the CPU usage in Win 10 under the same circumstances is 0-1%.

Task manager reports that SDR-Console uses around 44% CPU power in total with 10 VFOs - no matrix and default waterfall resolution. A single VFO is 13-14%. (SDRPlay RSP1A 8 MHz bw). In single VFO mode the CPU usage reported on the SDR-Console toolbar is only 3-4%.

Spec is i5-10400 - MSI 460M Motherboard (built-in wi-fi) - 16 GB RAM - 240 GB SSD - 2TB HDD - CD/DVD optical drive 4xUSB 3.0 PCIe card - Antec P7 "Silent" case - "Be Quiet" 500 W PSU - an uprated CPU cooler. I bought it with Win 10 Home OEM pre-installed.

The final setting up of Win 10 was to go through a series of screens saying "no - I don't want to let you access this, that, the other" every time. And finally getting the magnifying glass out to be able to read the product activation key on a ridiculously small label stuck to the side of the PC.

The people at CCL computers were very pleasant to deal with.

G6PZZ

Unread post by G6PZZ »

Nicely done David. I've decided on the DIY route, parts arriving on Thursday ready for a weekend build. Condensing two desktops down to one.
In the meantime I've added 4GB RAM, an SSD and a 7 year-old Radeon graphics card to the current radio PC and I have to say it now motors very nicely. The new build will improve on that and I'm looking forward to spreading SDRC over two 23" monitors!
Tom G6PZZ

DaveB

Unread post by DaveB »

I've spotted something interesting in Windows Task Manager on my new PC. Right at the bottom of the pop-up window is "ne" box/chart labelled GPU. Click on this and you get four separate charts the two that are of interest are "3D" and "Video Decode". There a dozen parameters in the GPU that you can track. The in-built GPU is tje Intel UHD630

With SDRConsole running 10 RXs and waterfall resolution at x2 it shows CPU usage GPU usage at 24% . Bring up the Matrix of 10 RXs in a 4x3 grid and the CPU usage goes up to 58% with GPU usage up at 57%.

As an extra statistic SDRConsole without the matrix uses just on 2GB of RAM, when the Matrix is active it goes up to about 2.5 GB.

As a reminder it is an 15-10400 processor with 16 GB RAM

David